Thursday, March 20, 2008

I should be grateful, I suppose

Although books told me that a baby would not experience separation/ stranger anxiety till about 9 months, I can swear that Eliza threw a fit in anyone else's arms from about 4 months on. It was with great joy and rejoicing that Roger reached the 4 month, 6 month, 9 month, and 12 month mark with nothing but smiles for everyone. He has been quite the hit with old and single ladies at church who frequently steal him during Sunday School so that I can focus on Primary.

So with a tear and groan I must report that he has recently become a momma's boy. Last night at Enrichment I put him down for a minute and walked around the table to talk to a friend. He immediately got this sick/worried look on his face and walked frantically in my direction. Another lady picked him up and he would have NONE of her. He quickly let his lungs be heard and my conversation was ruined! This morning as I was running on the treadmill, he screamed at me and tried to climb ON the treadmill till my workout was cut short (this may not be an example of separation anxiety, but it really made me mad!) Following the treadmill incident, as I got ready and walked in and out of the bathroom and my room, he was frantically following me and belting out protests.

Now, I know I should be thankful that he recognizes the woman who has been there for him from day one, but somehow I am having a hard time recognizing this love--it really feels like an annoyance! Why can't kids just let you be and snuggle with you on YOUR terms? Ahhhh, that would be a perfect world. Until then, I guess I should be grateful he wants me instead of shooing me out of the room like the twins do when they are playing a game that "mommys are not allowed" to play.

1 comment:

missliss5/Melissa said...

Gratitude shmatide.......I'm with you and want to pull my hair out when my little ones can't have me leave their sight. It's my 9 month old that is the problem, though. My 3 year old is usually glad I'm gone so she can cause some trouble! I feel your pain!