Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How our Salad Bowl Ended up in Labor and Delivery


(an inaugural post by D)
We are proud to announce that Camilla gave birth to a healthy baby boy, 8 lbs 4 oz, 20 inches, at 3:50pm yesterday (6/22) on the bathroom floor, with a neighbor friend catching the baby. This is not a joke.

I was operating at the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray all day while Camilla ran up to the University hospital for a non stress test since she was due that day. Baby and Mom checked out fine, and they felt her contractions were just "false labor". She returned home and continued to have some intermittent, uncomfortable contractions, but was otherwise feeling fine and told me to just finish my cases for the day.

About 15 minutes later, she called me back and left a message in the O.R. that she was taking the kids to BJ's house. I quickly excused myself from the O.R. and recieved another page from Camilla: on this page she left a 911 in the subject line. So then I was running to my car and calling the house. The line was busy because Camilla was calling a friend to come and get the kids. Bless Eliza's little heart (six year old twin); she answered my call to Camilla's cell phone while waiting out in the car for mom to drop them off. After talking to me, Eliza ran back in and asked mom if she needed 911. I could hear Camilla in the background yell, "YES!" By now I was racing down I-15 at 90 mph weaving through traffic with 911 on the line.

Camilla's friend, Liz Hughes, arrived just after Camilla realized she was crowning. Liz just thought she was coming to pick up the kids, but quickly realized she was going to deliver a baby as she heard Camilla screaming, "Liz!!! Get in here! I'm crowning!" He had prolapsed his cord and was coming out blue secondary to cord compression. As Liz spoke to 911 on the phone, Camilla pushed out the baby's head. She then looked at Liz and said, "I am pushing this baby out. I need you to pull." That's exactly what happened. 1-2-3 PUSH!!! Liz pulled out his shoulders, and then placed him on Camilla's belly.

The baby was still blue and not crying, but making some gurgles. Camilla then tells Liz to go to the baby’s room and bring back the bulb syringe that was on the dresser. With a little suctioning he started to breathe but without great crying. The paramedics arrived right then and clamped/cut the cord.

By this time, I had screeched to a stop in front of my house and dashed inside past my curious neighbors. No one seemed to notice the little doctor dad in green scrubs trying to push through the hallway so I calmly spoke up and said, “I need you all to move out of the way. I am the Dad and a physician." (Scary thought- I couldn't fake being a doctor any more)

Camilla was in obvious discomfort, but in control and safe. The baby was blue, but breathing now, and starting to pink up. We wrapped the baby up and rushed him out to the ambulance, which had been heated up to near 100 degrees, and gave the little dude some oxygen while I slapped his feet and pinched his chest. He pinked up great, cried a little, and then just stared at me through his charcoal colored gooey eyes. Totally cute.

Once he looked OK (3 minutes later), I put him in the arms of this very gentle, young paramedic and returned to the house. They had put Camilla up into a rolling chair and were getting ready to put her on a gurney by the front door. The best part of the experience for Camilla occurred when the paramedics said, "Oh, she's little. She'll be easy to pick up." They then wheeled her out, salad bowel between her legs catching the placenta, while she looked at my twenty neighbors and said to one, "That is not how you want to have a baby!!!" BJ and Cynthia arrived as we were leaving and took care of the kids and the war zone left in the bathroom. (All Cynthia... Thanks).

The ambulance then rushed us up to the University Hospital. We wheeled into the labor and delivery unit. They apparently were not ready for us, so Camilla had to wait in an open hallway, salad bowl and all, until they could prepare her a bed. I didn't want to just wait in the hall with the baby, so I walked directly to the nursery and stated that "I have a new admit who was just born on my bathroom floor." They all just looked at me confused, probably because I was dressed in IHC scrubs, and they couldn't figure out why some doctor had carried a baby over here from the children’s hospital. Once they realized I wasn't joking everyone was eager to help.

Since there were no admission documents we taped our name on the baby, and the nursery cleaned him up so that he looked liked he'd just been born in the movies. Camilla was doing great. They finished delivering the placenta, and best of all, they gave her a whopping dose of FENTANYL which was all she wanted.

Now everyone is doing great. Baby likes to eat, cry, poop, fart, and wants to get circumcised again because he's a masochist. Camilla is sore, relieved, and will likely have some post traumatic stress disorder for awhile. Everyone is just great.

We owe so much to great neighbors and an awesome family who were willing to rise to the occasion when the unthinkable happened. This has been so humbling. At various moments throughout this trial we have found ourselves pleading with our Father for help I can testify that there were angels in my home protecting my family.

On a side note, I am more convinced than ever that Camilla could have crossed the plains, buried me in the process, saved the Willy-Martin handcart company, and built her own house in the Salt Lake Valley. She is my heroine and I love her for her courage, clarity of mind, and faith. Wow. Let’s not do this again.

We love you all and hope you are all well. Thank you for your love and prayers.

27 comments:

Matt said...

Holy smokes, guys! Congratulations on having both a healthy baby and an awesome story to tell. I must admit, though - it's freaking out Trish and I just a little because she's nearing the end too. Cool stories are great, but so are epidurals :)

Liz said...

What a GREAT inaugural post D!!!! Love the title! There certainly were angels watching over your home! Your wife is AMAZING! She was so with it, and knew just what to tell me to do through her screams! I love you both and am glad that Camilla didn't have to do it alone! Reed is adorable, and I'm so happy that he is healthy and that they are both doing well!

Karlea said...

Oh Camilla, I can't believe that happened to you. What a wonderfully brave woman you are, and I echo D in saying you could have crossed the plains. I was thinking...pioneer birth, pioneer birth as I read this. Bless your heart. I am so grateful your sweet baby arrived safely and that you are well. What an amazing story this little man will have to tell someday about the day he was born.

Sarah Palfreyman said...

Oh my gosh! I am practically crying at the end of this. Great job Millar family. What a story and what a great team you are. Sending you love and prayers. Love the Palfreymans.

WOLF-PACK said...

Congrats!! Camilla- you are super-woman!! I wish you all the best and lots of rest.

Jenni Peay said...

What a story, I am so happy everything is alright, I have to agree with D, what a superwoman, there is no doubt I would want Camilla on my handcart company Congratulations!

Timani said...

I'm totally crying! How scary, yet you were all protected and well blessed. So glad Camilla and baby are well and congratulations to you all. Glad D made it home safe and almost in time, yet was still able to take over and help baby and mom.

Great job Liz!

BTW if this is how it started on day 1, I'd keep a close eye on that kid, he has his own agenda. ;)

Becky said...

WOW. Wow wow wow wow wow. I'm so glad Camilla and baby are doing well. Camilla, I am in AWE of you. I'm teary eyed. Congratulations, and what a story you and your son will have to tell!

Kearl said...

WOW!!! What else can I say? We are so glad to hear that everything turned out okay and that it was you and not us. :) Holy cow. You guys have the best story ever!

Michael n' Brooke Sanderson said...

Great story, you guys are amazing. Love you all.

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

I'd been checking your blog multiple times daily wondering if you'd had that sweet baby yet. And then to find THIS story??? Holy Cow!!! You are amazing, Camilla! Congratulations!

Robs said...

I am amazed! Wow! What a story. I'm glad that baby and Camilla are doing well. You guys are the greatest! You truly do have the best story EVER!

Camille said...

Camilla, you are my hero! I will second D when he says you really could have crossed the plains, saved the Willy-Martin handcart company, and built your own house in Salt Lake. Jim and I are so happy for you both! Congrats!

M-Ann said...

I could tell by the title, this post was going to be good. Oh man. Way to go Camilla. Glad all is well.

Mary said...

Oops. Maybe I shouldn't have wished for you such a speedy delivery! So glad that you and baby Reed are okay. What a story and what a lady knowing what to do in times of chaos! Congrats! Love you.

Lori said...

Oh my good heck that is basically.......INSANE! I can not believe the story. I keep thinking you'll post a "just kidding!" Oh my goodness! Camilla is my hero:)

Good luck w/ everything!

.......................wow.

Heather said...

ummmm i don't know where to even begin.... first off i'm so greatful that camilla & baby are o.k. so many things could of happened.... having said that i totally believe that angels were watching over her.. she is a pioneer woman with so much strength & courage. i don't know what i would have done! i'm so happy everyone is doing good. i can't wait to see pictures of him. i'm soo greatful all went well. i'm teary eyed as well & can bearly see what i'm typing so just know i'm thinking of you camilla & think you are wonderful. much love to your family.
xo,
h.
p.s. what an awesome neighbor you have cause we would have both been crying! :)

Lark said...

D had me all choked up there at the end of this post!
Camilla! Congratulations! You are amazing - what a crazy birthing experience! Glad everyone is well and healthy!

Jandee said...

Wow guys, that is a great story. I am glad everything worked out well and mom and baby are doing well. P.S. the pics are great. He is a cute baby. Dusty

Molly said...

oh.my.goodness.

wow.

i am so glad that everything turned out so wonderfully. that is so scary.

you could have crossed the plains girl. good work. i guess you didn't really have a choice though, did you!

Melissa said...

Whoa.

I mean WHOA!

After I read it the first time I was bawling. I was so grateful that Reed was OK and that your angel neighbor was there to help you (I wish it were me). I have had that nightmare so many time while pregnant and it actually happened to you! You must have been so scared. But, knowing you, you were in control, even through all of the pain and anxiety. I'm glad you got some good drugs at the hospital.

We will be there at the end of July and we want to stop in and see you and Reed (and the rest, of course). I will call you.

Melissa said...

Whoa.

I mean WHOA!

After I read it the first time I was bawling. I was so grateful that Reed was OK and that your angel neighbor was there to help you (I wish it were me). I have had that nightmare so many time while pregnant and it actually happened to you! You must have been so scared. But, knowing you, you were in control, even through all of the pain and anxiety. I'm glad you got some good drugs at the hospital.

We will be there at the end of July and we want to stop in and see you and Reed (and the rest, of course). I will call you.

ChristopheRobyn said...

Camilla--you are totally amazing. What an experience. I am so glad that you and Reed are doing well. You truly are wonder woman.

Stephanie said...

Camilla!! Holy cow. You just showed up in my google reader today for the first time in months, and what a story! You COULD have been a pioneer, seriously. Congratulations to all of you. He's beautiful.

Nate said...

Camilla and D, incredible! We just heard the news out here in Philly. We are so grateful that all are healthy and well. What a miracle.

We love and miss you guys...

D, we need to chat

Nate and Jenny

The Cherry Family said...

Wow, that is a crazy, amazing story. Camilla, you are amazing. You should go on Oprah for that story. :)

Laurina said...

Hi D and Camilla,
I love this story, I just stumbled on to it this evening. I am glad to hear that your family is growing and you seem to be doing well. I don't have any contact information for you, so maybe you could shoot me an email. I would love to find out how residency is going for D. I am a weekend nurse in Labor and Delivery and a full-time mother of three. We are still living in my hometown in SC. James is driving trucks now and so I am a single mom most of the time. I had a similar adventure with the delivery of my 3rd little one. My Gracelynn was delivered in the backseat of my friend's car on the side of the interstate on the way to the hospital. My mom was with me and my friend was from work and had just graduated from Midwifery school. My active labor only lasted an hour. We didn't call the paramedics though we just hurried onto the hospital.
Two labor and delivery nurses and an old pro like my mom figured we could get there faster. I love this story and can totally see D with the baby in the nursery. I love it. I hope to hear from you sometime. Good luck in life, Laurina Ward Walborn lwalborn@gmail.com