Monday, May 19, 2008

life's little mysteries

Do any of you remember that scene in "Father of the Bride" when the father, Mr. Banks has a nervous breakdown? During his grocery store visit he goes nuts because he is trying to buy hot dogs and can't figure out why the buns are sold in a greater quantity than the dogs. He opens the bag of buns, removes two, and tells the store manager that he is removing the "superfluous buns." This incident lands him in jail overnight.

I had one of those moments today at the grocery store. Our family has switched to ground turkey because it has less saturated fat, and I can't really tell a difference (except in hamburgers, where the extra fat is needed to keep the meat together). The only brand of ground turkey my store carries is Jennie-O. The catch: the Jennie-O ground hamburger ONLY comes in quantities of 1.2 pounds, but every recipe I know of calls for 1 pound of ground burger. What am I supposed to do with a 0.2 lb (4 ounce) piece of burger? I've considered cutting off the extra and freezing it until I accumulate 1 pound, but I always end up plopping the whole "loaf" into the pan cause I'm in a hurry (and probably lazy). So my masterpiece always ends up a little meat-heavy. I think it is a conspiracy by the folks at Jennie-O to force me to buy more meat than I need. Oh, the injustices of life. . . . .

2 comments:

Heather said...

You kill me.. I buy the same stuff & wonder the same thing. I thought I was a little funny about it but, I guess I have found a friend that THINKS like me too!! :)
Heck, I don't know what to do with it either. I don't even have a dog to feed it too!! ;)

Rebecca said...

Adjust your recipe up by 1/5?