Friday, March 28, 2008

my best haircut memory

My new friend, Melissa just told me she is visiting family in California and they have her set up to visit a great salon to get an "update." I was reminiscing with her about my favorite haircut memory so I'll share it with you!

One day I was complaining to D how ugly I was and how bad my hair was and blah, blah, blah. We were in the car and he turned around and zoomed into the lot of this ritzy, boutique-like salon. He says, "Go in and see if they have an opening." So I comply, and amazingly, they just had a cancellation.

So this "stylist" as she calls herself (big boobs with a low-cut shirt and about 3 different shades of brown, red and blonde in her hair) sits me in her chair, bends to my level (boobs hanging out of her shirt) and looks into my face. She pulls my hair back and says, "Yeah, this hair is doing nothing for your face-- we need to highlight your eyes." So without even asking me how I want to cut my hair, she goes to work. The whole time she is talking about lipo (she can't be over 35) and botox and laser-hair removal, and I am thinking, "Geez, I'm in over my head here." Well, after she's about done with my cut, she says, "You know, I went to California and I am a licensed eyebrow artist." Eyebrow artist? I didn't even know they needed school let alone a license. Then, without asking she starts SNIPPING my eyebrows!! Then she asks me if I have ever had them (my eyebrows) waxed. I say, "no" and she asks if I want them done. "Sure," I say. So she walks me back to the back--proceeds the sculpt my eyebrows and while she's at it, I ask, "Do you do lip waxes?" Oh yeah is her reply so I say "why don't you just get rid of my 'stache?" She does.

Then I am done. My hair is truly divine! My eyebrows are "sculpted" and my upper lip is hair-free. I get to the register and it is $50 for the cut, $15 for the eyebrows and $10 for the upper lip!! Yikes! That wasn't what I had planned on, but, hey, my HUSBAND is the one that picked the place out. D has his high school reunion that night, and I am am smokin'! The next day at church everyone comments on my hair and someone even notices my eyebrows.

I long for that experience again. In the meantime, I've got the scraggly, pony-tail 'do going on. I lost my tweezers last week so my eyebrows are growing in in a bushy sort of way. Sigh. There will be better days, there will be better days, there will be better days. . . . . . . .

7 comments:

Heather said...

I'm laughing right now what you put at the end! My hair is in a ponytail a lot of the time right now b/c I need a cut so bad & don't even start with the eyebrows!! I need some TLC about right now!!

Heather said...

So, Camilla I have left 2 comments here & they don't show up!?!?
I'm just laughing b/c I need some TLC about now too!

Jeni said...

There will be better days... but some things like that might be a rare occasion! We just got all our bills for student loans.. yikes!!!

Melissa said...

Always trust a woman with a low cut shirt and big boobs, I always say.

Timani said...

Great story! Bonus points for D.
You know my hair, for the last 8 yrs I've said, "I want to go to a salon where they look at you and tell you what cut will look good and do it, even if it's $200." (I've never been willing to go through with it though.) I'm a bit relieved to hear it's closer to $5o, I do the ponytail WAY too often!!!

Mindy :) said...

Camilla, you are such a sweetheart. I had to laugh at the end of your story too - I only have one little one, and I sport the ponytail all the time too.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Reading about it again made me smile even bigger!