Sunday, January 13, 2008

food bribes

I am sure every parent has struggled with food and their children. I have been privvy to plenty of get-togethers and watched parents beg, bribe, or threaten their children to eat "4 more bites." The question, "how many more bites do I have to eat" is a common one at our house. I've tried not to be Naziish (is this even a word?) about food, trying to chill out and realize they will not starve (anyway don't all kids subsist on chicken nuggets, cheese, and crackers?) (mom: "what do you want for lunch?" davis: "hotdogs" mom: "but we had that for dinner when we went out AND you ate it at lunch yesterday!" davis: "but I just like them mom!")

Now, if any mom has a reason to worry about their child's size, it's me. Eliza has never grown in height or weight past the 5th percentile--since birth. She will be 5 in a few months and is still wearing two-year-old pants for heavens-sake! I secretly get a smirk (I suppose this could be classified as pride?) when another mom tells me her third child was small until they hit a growth spurt--"I think Sally (name changed for protection of the innocent) was only in the 30th percentile! Don't worry, Eliza will catch up someday." A few months ago I did a height predictor on her based on her current stats; the result: a hopeful 5 feet! We've discussed with the doctor getting her tested for growth hormone deficiency, but even if she was deficient I am not sure I would want to give her shots every day till she is 18.

Anyway, we are planning a trip to Disneyland with D's family in September. The kids are very excited. Eliza was looking especially short when she stood up in Primary today, so I got interested in height requirements for the rides and discovered many require you to be 40 inches. So, we pulled out the tape measure and went to work. Davis is a quarter inch shy of 40 so he should be there by September. Unfortunately, Eliza was just 37 3/4. We figure maybe we can buy some tall, clunky shoes to help her out, but even then, two inches in nine months? I think it is a long shot.

We now officially have a new bribe, "Eat your food so you can grow tall enough to get on the rides at Disneyland with your cousins." (I am crossing my fingers this will work!)

At dinner Eliza said the prayer, "Please bless us to eat the food so we can get on the teacups."

7 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL! sorry, but *that's* cute. :) let's hope they make it in time!

family guest said...

good luck getting on those teacups at Disneyland! Camilla, thanks for your comment our blog. I am sorry I wasn't able to see you. I thought I would have loads of time to do everything, but the weather, the family, the baby's schedule, Parley's Canyon, etc., left many things undone. I hope to be out in the summer and I think that will be an easier time. I can't wait to sit down and have a good chat!

Sarah Palfreyman said...

camilla-I have no idea why the above comment says it is from "Candace"--but its from me.

Melissa said...

Hi Camilla! I was so glad to see your comment on my blog. It's funny, because alot of the old videos we watched over Christmas had all you guys as little guys in them. They were so funny and so cute. Michael and Amelia were just tiny things, Michele was a baby in one of them (so she got to be Jesus in the Christmas play - hysterical!) and my others weren't even here yet. Time flies so fast. I'll look forward to keeping up with you and yours on your blog. I'm not doing a terribly good job keeping mine up to date, but it gives me a better chance at sort of keeping people informed than any other medium.

Oh, and I'll add my observations on height and growth charts. Michael and Evan were both in the 5th percentile for years and Michele and Aaron were at about the 90th and it looks like they are all going to be about average height. But I agree that 2 inches in that time would be a stretch so I'd definitely be leaning toward the clunky shoes.

Juli said...

Hey, whatever works right? Chloe is really small too but she was born a month early and they adjust all her growth charts for that still. It makes me feel a little better each doctor's visit!

Sarah said...

Camilla! Its Sarah Hilbig! After going to Karlea's site, I saw yours and couldn't help myself! That "teacup prayer"... too cute! Thanks for the x-mas card, beautiful family! Our site is 5littlehilbigs.blogspot.com.

Melissa said...

We just got back from Disney World and it truly was sad that Kami got to go on all of the fun rides with Daddy and the preganant lady and the shortie (me and Macy) had to watch them.

I'm out of bribes these days too. "Be good or Santa won't bring you any presents" and "Be good or we can't go to Disneyworld" have expired. What do I use now? I'll have to resory to the Jesus bribe "Be good because Jesus is watching".