Friday, January 11, 2008

getting old?

So, D has had a week off this week (hoorah!) and we've been piddling around the house. But we promised ourselves that we would belatedly celebrate our anniversary this week. On Wednesday night, we dropped off the kids at grandma's house and went out to eat and then planned to go skiing on Thursday.

I shoud preface this story with my bragging session I had with D on the way up to Snowbird. When I was 11 or 12 I did one winter's worth of ski school. My sister and I were the only girls in the class with about 5 other boys. On the last day of class, we had a little ski-off. Now, all the boys in the class got to bragging before the race, but, much to their dismay, I took home the trophy for fastest skier
(now, imagine me telling D this story with a 'braggy air'. I skiied a bit in high school, not much in college, and once since I've been married.

It has been snowing quite a bit here, so we got up to the mountain and trudged our way up the hill. We rented skiis and boots. My boot was bothering me that morning and on the way up the first lift, it was getting painful. We undid some bindings, but had to do them back up when we got to the top.

The first lift we headed up to was basically intermediate hills, but with my boot too tight, I started losing feeling in my right foot. There was a lot of powder and I just felt like I couldn't control myself very well. I was really muscling my way down the mountain-- complaining to D the whole way (poor guy!). We got to the bottom of the first run and readjusted my boot and sat around while I complained about how "scary" it is to ski with no feeling in your foot.

Anyway, my feeling returned about halfway into the second run (after a 20 minute pit stop a the bottom of the mountain debating whether or not I should try to rent different boots), and I was starting to enjoy myself. I must admit, however, that I was SCARED while skiing. I kept thinking about my kids and how I should be careful (recently a young man died in a skiing accident and D has been on trauma dealing with skiers). Visibility was also pretty poor as it was overcast and windy (the snow that was falling on my goggles also got frozen in the wind. After lunch I was feeling a bit better, but sadly, at 2:00 a had a small fall, but was done for the day.

Anyway, what started out as a braggy morning, ended up as a real bummer. I am forced to realize a few things: 1) my legs are out of shape 2) I can blame my less-than-perfect day on weather, boots, or kids, but, in reality, 3) I am not as good of a skiier as I thought I was. This is a sad realization. I think mayber next year when the twins start school I should get a pass and trade Roger-sitting with a friend so I can get some practice and not let myself down again.

No comments: