Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Small miracles

A few nights ago, D and I witnessed a tiny miracle.  I'll call it a miracle of the heart really.  In our church, each individual and/or family is assigned two men  and two women to be their 'Home Teachers' and 'Visiting Teachers.'  These people are asked to visit the home once a month and keep in touch with the family so they can be aware of their needs.  If need arises they can contact the leaders of our congregation, called a Ward, to provide further assistance to the family, if needed.  In a perfect world, this system works to make sure that no 'sheep' are lost.  Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world and sometimes months go by without contact from home teachers.  Life gets busy for everyone.

Late Sunday night, D got a call from Brother F. saying he was really worried about the elderly women he home teaches.  He noticed she wasn't at church that day and called to check on her.  She was experiencing significant pain in her chest and difficulty breathing.  It was beginning to hurt so badly she couldn't even lay down without pain.  She said she didn't want to 'go in' to the hospital and was planning to take an Ambien so she could sleep.  Brother F. hung up the phone and worried.  He knew something was wrong.  He called the woman and asked her if D came over and looked at her, would she be willing to go to the E.R. if it was deemed medically necessary.  She said, "Yes."

D made his way over and checked her breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, and lungs.  It was clear to him something was wrong.  He told this woman she should definitely go to the E.R. because there were many things he could think of that would require further attention and care. By now it was almost 11:00, but her good home teacher, Brother F. volunteered to take her in.  In the morning, he called D and let him know this lady had experienced two pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in her lung).  If she had indeed taken an Ambien and tried to sleep that night, she would have likely died.

I am calling this a miracle because I learned a lesson about loving those around you from Brother F.  Most of us might not have even noticed the absence of an elderly woman at church.  But Brother F. did.  And not only did he notice her absence, he followed through.  I learned a greally great lesson here that miracles are often worked through the kindness and love of others.  Through his actions and persistence, Brother F. probably saved this woman's life.

It makes me want to be a better Visiting Teacher, to be more attentive and aware of the needs of those arounds me.  What an amazing lesson I learned!!

8 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! That makes me want to be better, too. I'm sure I'll be sharing this story if I ever have to give a talk or lesson on visiting teaching!

Stephanie said...

This is a really cool example of the power of charity when done right.

Melissa@thebblog said...

What a great story! I needed to hear that - I've been slacking in my calling as a VT. Thank you for sharing.

Helen said...

I love that! THANKS for sharing! :-)

Iv said...

Thanks for sharing this story, Camilla. Very good reminder - and not just when it's getting late in the month, but thinking about them at least weekly is a good new goal for me. Love your posts - glad you're well. Just tagged you in an awesome La Jolla RS pic on FB by the way.
Ivey
PS - Can't remember if I ever invited you to the blog? darrenandivey.blogspot.com

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Thank you for sharing that, Camilla! It's a good lesson for all of us!

WOLF-PACK said...

Thank you for sharing Camilla. I needed that reminder as well.

ChristopheRobyn said...

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing it. You should write it up and submit it to the Ensign. It would be a great one for everyone in the church to hear. It has motivated me to be a better Visiting teacher. Thank you.