Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Who would have thought. . . . .

. . . . .that it was just one year ago today that I gave birth on my bathroom floor???  Not in a million years could you have convinced me that this experience would be part of my life experience.  But, it is.

Thankfully, a year later, Reed seems to be happy and healthy.  We tried really hard to feed him cake tonight, but he just wasn't interested- too tired.  D stuffed the icing into his face and instead of making him interested in the sugar, it made him mad. . . That's what happens when you get a really short nap in the car.  Oh, the joys of being a fourth child who has to be toted around to all the other kids' activities. . . .what a trooper.
As if on cue, today he stood for about 10 seconds unaided, so, I'm thinking that walking will be coming very soon.  In the meantime, he cruises along furniture and walls like a pro and he is fast, FAST on all fours.

Fun facts about this little munchkin:
  • He took to his jumper around 3 months old, and hasn't stopped jumping since.  He is known for jumping up and down in people's arms when he's really excited, and I've almost dropped him a time or two.
  • I think he willed his teeth to grow so he could eat dinner with us.  He got his first tooth (bottom right) at 6 months and the bottom left one came 2 weeks later.  Since then, he's sprouted 4 on top.
  • He is stubborn.  Yesterday in the grocery store he pushed the cart up 2 aisles. I am not kidding.  Every time I tried to lift him up, he started screaming.  Fortunately for him, I wasn't in a hurry (trying to kill 2 hours during one of Davis's classes) so he got to push to his heart's content.  My only job was directing the cart on path when it veered right or left.  We got a lot of funny looks from people who thought it was hilarious to see such a little guy pushing such a big object. His feet and knees were black when we went home.
  • He waves 'bye-bye' like a champ when prompted.  He barks/squeels when he sees dogs.
  • He loves tub-time.
  • He is so friendly.  He frequently reaches out to neighbors and even strangers so they will hold him. This is quite the hit with old ladies in the grocery store (sometimes I'm afraid to give him up if the lady is really frail looking).
  • He's starting to imitate sounds like 'mamamamama', 'dadadada' and 'poopoopoo')(this one is a hit with the other kids) 'yi yuh, yi yuh' (Eliza).  I'm not sure if he's attached meanings to these words yet.
  • He definitely knows his name and responds with a head turn when you yell out, "Reed!" 
  • He loves to throw balls already.  Fetch is a great game for him too.  Who needs a dog, when you've got a 1-year-old?

5 comments:

Heather said...

oh camilla, he is beautiful. i will never forget your experience!!! :)

Angela said...

Happy Birthday Reed! I will always remember his birthday because it was our placement day. We are in Utah. I would love to see you!

Michelle Glauser said...

That is a funny mad picture.

Liz said...

Happy Birthday to Reed!!! This year has gone by so quickly!!! I thought about this experience and talked about it with my team during the Wasatch Back this weekend! Nothing exciting happened after the race this year....bummer! I love all the little fun facts you listed! What a perfect little one-year-old!

The Cherry Family said...

Congratulations! I can't believe that was a year ago!