Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Just when I thought I'd throw in the towel. . . .

This morning was rough. Kids moved like snails--feels like we will be late, mom gets stressed, kids start fighting with each other, mom takes away friend and Wii privileges for the day. . . . . . and all of this was before 8:00 A.M.

When Davis got home, he really wanted to know if there was a way he could earn back his Wii time for the day. So I sat down with him, and we brainstormed some extra chores he would have to accomplish. . . .this included vacuuming the ENTIRE basement. Well, it has taken a few hours, but he did everything on my list!

Davis pranced upstairs, so proud of himself-- I guess the vacuum is a very large object for a little 6 yr-old-- and asked if he and Eliza could now play Wii. "Well, Eliza still hasn't done her reading or made her bed yet," was my response.

Davis said, "Okay. Eliza helped me with the vacuuming. She moved the stuff out of the way so I wouldn't suck it up. So, I'll help with her bed. . . . . ." Ahhh, proud mom.

And to top it off, the kids just went outside-- so Eliza could read TO Davis outside (he did his reading right after school).

Maybe there is is hope in this family after all.

5 comments:

Mary said...

How nice for you. When I take away privileges, my kids just get more and more nasty. It's not pretty. It seems my tactics are not working very well...

Lori said...

That is adorable:) You guys have done somethin' right!
My question is, what do I do w/ a 21 mo. old who doesn't understand taking away privileges or "grounding" or even time out!

Karlea said...

Ahhh...it's so nice when they redeem themselves after a bad start to the day. I find myself suspending privileges more and more these days with my almost 6-year old. LOTS OF CRYING!! I don't give in though...so this week's been rough. I feel your pain. Too bad we don't live close and could go to the day spa together!!!

Camilla Millar said...

Karlea-- I do wish we could go out together and commiserate!

Lori, with Roger we just say, "No, hitting (or biting or throwing toys--you know whatever the offense)" and put him in his crib. I read somewhere a minute of time-out for every year. . . . .who knows if this even works, but sometimes it makes me feel better to know he is getting a consequence. When the timer goes off, I repeat, "No hitting," and plop him down out of the crib without trying to give him too much positive attention. Jury is still out on whether this is effective enough (cleary, with Davis he still is naughty-so who knows?)

Lori said...

Good ideas! I just find it amazing w/ kids that just know how to "sit there quietly" with their arms folded when they are in time out and don't move a muscle til Mom says it's over. Amazing!