Saturday, April 11, 2009

Say What?

A few days ago, a well-intentioned (though I might add somewhat clueless--sorry!) male asked me, "So have you just been hanging out lately?"

I answered, "I am not teaching classes anymore. I stay home with my kids."

I was hurt. . . . is that what my life boils down to? "Hanging out?"

In this person's defense, I think he was just trying to make conversation. . . . . FYI to male's who don't know what to say to a stay-at-home-mom: ask her what she's been doing with her time, ask her what activities her kids have been up to. . . .ask her something, anything, that doesn't sound like her life is made up of sitting in front of the T.V., eating bonbons--because, I guarantee you--she hasn't been doing anything like that!

3 comments:

Liz said...

I have only had bonbons once in my life and that was when I was 13ish. I was babysitting and just had to try them! It's funny that bonbons are the thing we always refer to, but I wonder how many of us ever have them??!!! Now...candy, cookies, or ice cream, Yes...have those all the time! Maybe we should suggest to these males who don't know what to say, that they could talk about the food we love!! :) I know you haven't "just been hanging out"...you are an amazingly talented and busy mother of three and a wonderful friend!

Matt said...

How's this for a stupid male (me)?

Trish and I were walking around and around the athletic field in front of our apartment when she was nigh due with Adam, trying to induce a spark of labor. We saw another couple walking the same loop and she was sticking out to HERE [gesturing WAY out in front of belly]. So after we had passed each other a few times, I smiled and asked: "Are you trying to induce labor too?". She replied that she was pregnant with twins and was still 2 months out! That was definitely one of those moments when the cold dark of Antarctica in the winter would have been an excellent hiding place.

Camilla Millar said...

Oh, Matt--that was a good one.

But since I carried twins, trust me--you were not the first (or probably the last) person who made a mistake about her size-- she was, after all, carrying two kids so she was probably measuring as big as if she were due.