Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dear HBO,

I have just heard that you will be airing portions of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints temple endowment ceremony during one of your shows.

If your writers truly had 'thoroughly researched' this practice, you would know that any Mormon currently involved in polygamy would not participate in the temple endowment. Your writers are getting their information from sources who have been expelled from the church-- how could you possibly make such a mistake without the intent to inflame hurt and mock practices that some people consider sacred?

It is wrong to publicly air such ceremonies without the written consent of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. . . .though your actions show that you choose to ignore this fact. As writers and members of the entertainment industry you should consider it a responsiblity to depict controversy in truth, rather than half-truths couched in innuendo. Though your writers, staff, and actors may not be involved in religion and understand the purpose or meaning of religious practices such as these, there are many people who consider temple ordinances to be deeply personal--not something to provide entertainment to the masses (particularly when the information is obtained from sources who have had a 'problem' with the church that they want to air publicly).

Furthermore, I will boycott your channel (and, in particular, this show) and invite my friends, neighbors, and coworkers to do the same.

I strongly urge you to cut these unnecessary scenes from your show out of respect to the millions of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who consider such public airing an offense and a mockery to their religious beliefs.

6 comments:

Karlea said...

You said it girl! The statement the church put out yesterday (I think) was great. I'm guessing if every Mormon canceled thier HBO and online services through Time Warner...they'd think twice!

Crystal said...

I agree! I'm so sick of idiots who try to use our religion and any possible controversy directed towards it as entertainment.

Angela said...

I sent HBO a letter too, only yours is worded so much better. I think we all need to band together on this.

Katie said...

Very well stated. I agree with you and if I actually had HBO I would boycott it as well.

Melissa@thebblog said...

As my dad said "What if we take a picture of Barack Obama's head and post it on a nude body and as long as it is "thouroughly researched" and accurate, does this make it any less of an invasion of privacy. Just because it is "correct" does this make it acceptable and not offensive?

Melissa said...

HBO is trash anyway. I wish I had it so I could cancel it.