Monday, March 30, 2009

Tissue Connoisseur

(Yes, first I should admit that I looked up the spelling of 'connoisseur' on dictionary.com)

I've had a cold for a week. Really, just the run-of-the-mill, average sniffles-but it has been enough to bring out my grumpy's.

I have learned one thing with this bout of sickness, though-- there is a real difference in nose tissues. Admittedly, I like to save a buck just like the next gal, so usually when I choose my tissue, I go for the generic brand. . . . .after all, the whole purpose of the tissue is to collect snot and other gross items for the sole purpose of disposing of them--to me, it seemed that cheaper was better for this task.

And yes, for the generic nose wipe, I'd have to say that a generic tissue does just the job, but sadly, as my cold progressed from one day to three I started to experience the red nose chaffing caused by repeated nose-blows over the space of a short time. Finally, by Cold, Day 3, I had run out of tissues and ran to the store. I grabbed a box of Kleenex, and as I was about to exit the aisle, I saw this:
A package of Puffs tissues. Now, normally, I might scoff at the 75 cent (or more) price inflation on this particular brand, but suddenly, as if in a out-of-body-experience, I am transported back to a memory of a Puffs commercial. These adorable little cartoons are in a similar condition as myself-- multiple tissue use has resulted in red, irritated nose. These poor little cartoons are told that puffs has drops of lotion in every tissue-to soothe such irritation. A Nose In Need Deserves Puffs, Indeed. And then, I am thinking, "Doesn't my nose deserve the best?" So, I pick up a box.

Now, I'd like to say that I got home and there really wasn't a difference in the Kleenex brand versus the Puffs, but I'd be lying. . . . . .those Puffs really were more soothing to my nose. So, I have decided that in future incidences of multiple-day colds, I will splurge and get myself the 'lotion-infused' paper.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm sorry you are sick, Camilla. Is this sick winter season ever going to end?

And I have to agree. I think it's one of the few products that is actually telling the truth when proclaiming differences between themselves and their competitors. It's like smoothing on a layer of lotion to your chaffed nose every time you blow. I discovered the difference the hard way during one especially horrible cold a few years ago. I won't use any other brand!

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

We've discovered the comfort of Puffs at our house too. And we, like you, only buy them when we have serious colds. :) But they are nice, aren't they?

WOLF-PACK said...

Camilla- you are too funny. Your blog is my favorite one to follow up on. It makes me smile.

Melissa@thebblog said...

When purchasing tissues at work, the director of finance decided that it would be fiscally responsible to purchase recycled tissues - I highly discourage anyone from this in the future!! We happily went back to our non-lotioned, but oh so much better plain Kleenex after that and were grateful.

Michelle Glauser said...

You sound like you'd fit in well in Germany. They really like their nice tissues too, whereas I just use toilet paper. :)

Timani said...

Your nose does deserve Puffs! I wholeheartedly agree, there is a real difference.

So sorry you are sick!