Monday, July 27, 2009

A Special Moment. . . .

Deedles was on call on Saturday night. I was teaching my first lesson at church since the baby on Sunday, and was hoping he'd be able to slip home a little sooner than noon on Sunday, but at 8:00 A.M. I got a call from the O.R.--he was scrubbed into a liver transplant and would not be home soon--DARN!! When I hung up the phone I had a moment (one of many) where I really resented his job. I survived just fine even though my lesson didn't have any fancy object lessons, musical numbers, or handouts.

It wasn't until bedtime that D and I were discussing our day that he told me about the liver transplant. . . .This man had a liver transplant about a week earlier. His vitals had gotten steadily worse during D's shift Saturday. It was clear that his 7-day-old liver was failing, so that afternoon he and the attending removed the liver and put the man on the waiting list for another one. Later that night, word came that there was a second liver on its way. As D talked to the family of this man, he told them that their dad/husband/brother was very sick. He informed the family there was a likelihood that he would not make it through this second surgery in 24 hours-- the first transplanted liver had been necrotic and really had done a number on his system. As my husband began to excuse himself, the man's brother grabbed his hand and stopped him. He looked him in the eyes and said, "Doc, you are going to save my brother tonight."

D was very humbled to have so much faith put in him. He cried when he told me this. He said he had said a very earnest prayer after he excused himself from the waiting room, before they began the transplant. The man did well in surgery, and is doing well today.

It is moments like these that I am reminded when I am bitterly frustrated about my husband's lack of schedule and reliability--it isn't because he's on the golf course or pursuing some other activity. He is busy helping someone that can't help themself. What a noble work--and I have to think that I share a little bit in his blessings because I am willing to let him be gone--even when there is a lesson to be prepared.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

kudos! you sacrifice a lot and I'm so grateful for wives and families like yours. YOU ROCK!

The Neads said...

that is awesome..
what a job.. I am glad there are people out there like your husband that will go to school and learn how to do that.. because I could never do something like that..

Kearl said...

That's really sweet- of both of you. I have to say that I wish my lesson Sunday went as well as yours. I had an women say, in loud, old-lady voice, "I'm going home." And she did.

Jamie said...

Wow, I really have so much respect for doctors AND their wives AND their families. You all sacrifice so much. You are a trooper Camilla and your lessons are always amazing!