Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Sunscreen Let Down

I, like many other moms out there, was thrilled to discover the spray-on sunscreen. Let's face it: rubbing the sunscreen all over 3 kids bodies gets tedious--they hate it, I hate it. So when I saw the spray-sunscreen at Costco, I quickly picked up the 2-pack.

It is with great sadness that I report one bottle of the spray-on had evidently lost its juice before we even opened the package. The other bottle, which bragged even coverage, lived up to its name for about one application. Then, it just sort of spurted and gurgled its contents--I ended up having to rub on sunscreen anyway. And, to add insult to injury, the bottle really only lasted for about 6 or 8 applications. So with 3 kids, the math says that I was out of sunscreen after about 3 days! STINKY.

On the plus side, I called Coppertone to report the faulty bottle and they quickly sent me a 10.99 replacement coupon. But, instead of picking up another spray bottle, I went right back to the rub-on. . . so sad, so let down.

Has anyone else had the same sort of problems, or was I just unlucky?

12 comments:

WOLF-PACK said...

i've had a bottle of that stuff for 2 months now and i love it. we have yet to experience a sunburn and it hasn't gotten clogged yet. sorry you've had a bad experience. hope you are surviving well with the new little guy :D

Kerri said...

I LOVE my spray on, but I have had a bad bottle in the past. I generally spray on, but also rub in a bit. Sorry you had such bad luck, but try try again :)

Nichole said...

maybe unlucky. i love mine! this is the first summer of love for the spray on and me. i'll never go back. hawaiian tropic is the only brand i've tried maybe try that one. what with a little white redhead we use 80+

Stephanie said...

I do NOT like the spray-on kind because it disappears so fast and there are always random spots that get sunburned. I feel your pain. :)

Emmy said...

Was it the spray and no rub kind? The first time I bought the spray sunscreen it did not say no rub.. and so even though it was a spray you still had to rub it on.
And I agree, it goes way too fast.

Becky said...

I've had that problem before. I have a can right now that won't squirt anything out, not even a little. And the can is full. So frustrating. I've taken them back to Walmart before. So don't buy Banana Boat Sport.

My favorite kind that I've never had any problems with is Coppertone Kids, continuous spray, spf 50. It's mostly green on the outside with a blue lid. Yeah, the spray is expensive, but I love it! The rub-on stuff takes FOREVER.

The Neads said...

I hate the spray on for that reason.. it runs out sooo fast. and doesn't work as well.. my kids end up getting sunburned anyway...
the lotion is hard to put on, but at least it does its job and lasts longer

Nichole said...

how do i spray the face?

Mary said...

I'm with you. The spray on is so convenient, however in our house, it runs out so flippin' fast! 10 bucks a bottle for it to last for a few swimming trips doesn't cut it. I'm back to yucky rub on kind too!

Kearl said...

Love the spray! I have discovered a few things though: Coppertone baby just sprays out in white chunks and has to be rubbed in, so bad. Coppertone kids is usually good, but my favorite is Neutragena's blue can. It sprays wonderfully. You are supposed to spray until the hairs turn white. If you pay attention, to the white hairs, you don't miss spots. As for the face, I use the sticks that usually come with the sprays. It's easy to miss spots with the stick, but after applying, just wipe all over with two fingers quickly. I can get all my kids in just a few seconds. Give Neutragena a try. Costco sells it too.

Mindy :) said...

for the face, I love my sunblock stick - I just tell them I am drawing on their face and I draw on my own first to show them how it works - I use the sick on their ears for double coverage, too.
I like the sprays that I have tried - Thomas loves that it is over and done with quickly.

Dana said...

Love Neutragena's spray sunblock. Have been using it on the girls now for at least three years and haven't had an issue yet! We use Aveeno baby or Arbone baby for the face.