Monday, November 2, 2009

Death of an appliance AND Mr. OCD

My hair-dryer failed to start this morning. I am mourning the loss- mostly because my hair looks like a mess today. It was a good blow dryer that served me for 3 years. R.I.P. old friend.

I guess I wasn't in mourning too long because I went to Big Lots and replaced it within an hour.

On to other news: I think my 2-year-old has a premature form of O.C.D. No, I'm not kidding. For about a month now his behavior is as follows: Mom, Dad, or siblings (including Reed) touch him. He squeals as if in pain, then shouts. "My (insert name of body part that was touched here)!" He then proceeds to take back the said body part by touching the offenders hand-- THREE TIMES.

The behavior is getting worse. While I was replacing my old friend, Mr. Blow-dryer, at the store, Roger yelled, "My Fingers!" Then he pointed to the top shelf we had just walked by. "What?" I questioned, "You didn't even touch that shelf."

His reply, "My FINGERS!" Then he started tantruming--with a very loud voice.

"Okay, okay," I said, "I'll help you get your fingers." I then proceeded to lift him up to the top shelf where he 'took back' his stolen fingers by touching the shelf.

Then, when I thought all was well, he yelled again, "MY FINGERS!"

"But, I just helped you get your fingers. You have them already."

Screaming by the little tot and giving in from me, "Okay, we'll get your fingers again, but this is the last time."

I then rounded the corner, and he yelled again, "MY FINGERS!"

By now, I am getting pretty perturbed. "No. I told you it was the last time to get your fingers. We are walking away now. You have your fingers. See? They are right on your hand." Then, I walked away. Roger didn't. He screamed. Pretty loud. Now people are starting to look. A worker tried to bring him a ballon. He didn't like that. But I wasn't going to give in. Until he kept screaming as I walked farther away.

And, yes, I gave in. Again. But guess what? After he retrieved his fingers for the THIRD time. He was fine.

I see psychologists in this boy's future.

5 comments:

Heather said...

laughing out loud for sure right now! :) sorry i know it is frustrating for you though! ;)

Liz said...

Sending my prayers your way!!!! Love that boy!!!

Melissa@thebblog said...

Oh dear - sorry, but I can't help but laugh and shake my head. Good luck with that.

Kearl said...

Kids are so funny. I have a little OCD worry about my #2 Luke.

Linsay Mabey said...

Wow, good luck with that one. It's amazing how their little brains come up with these things.