Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Speeding Ticket

As D walked into the door this morning he informed me, "Well, I guess it was about time. I just got a speeding ticket."

Camilla, "Dang. Where did you get it?"

D continued, "Just past the high school. I haven't seen a cop there in five years."

I then declared, "They are there all the time. I guess you haven't driven past Highland High during the normal hours of the day in 5 years."

"Oh yeah. Well anyway, I turned the corner past the high school and started speeding up. When I hit 45 I turned my head and saw the officer shoot me with the gun. I immediately pulled over. When the cop got to my car, he told me that was the first time he'd had that happen (someone pulling over BEFORE he chased them) then he asked me if I had any excuses. I said 'no.'"

"No EXCUSES?" I exclaimed. "How about the fact that you've been working all night and wanted to get home and sleep? I know you could have sweet talked him out of the ticket by telling him about your sacrifices to mankind."

"Yeah, but I was speeding."

Thus the story ends. D will look into traffic school options--but I don't think that will save us from a fine. Luckily, he will be around during the day for the next two months, otherwise that wouldn't be an option (I guess they don't care if you sleep during traffic school?). I never cease to be amazed at my husband's honesty and conscience (roll your eyes here).

7 comments:

Melissa said...

That is great! I love that he is so honest, I am sure I would have been trying to come up with anything I could to get out of it... Not that it would have worked...

Heather said...

I do what ever it takes.. bat my eyes, say i'm sorry like 10 times, & i promise i won't do it again!
Sometimes it works but, i guess it helps to be honest.. it doesn't matter what my husband does he flat just gets them!! :)

Glad he was honest though.. even if he was sooo tired! i laughed so hard when he pulled right over!

Anonymous said...

I hope I never get ticket. I haven't begun driver's training and my dad thinks I am maniac, which I know isn't true.

Nichole said...

aren't cops the best ? please note the sarcasm even though i'm married to one?

Unknown said...

D, you. Are. AWESOME! I know I shouldn't be praising you for getting a ticket, but that story scores major kudos with me. Keep it up (but don't burn all that "extra" money on getting tickets)! ;)

missliss5/Melissa said...

Well, honestly and a good conscience are certainly things you either have or don't have. To be honest....Dan has used the doctor excuse to get out of so many tickets I wish a cop would give him one so he'd SLOW DOWN!!

Timani said...

What a good guy!

Cracks me up he didn't know officers hung out there...I don't live in SLC and knew that. I see them just about every time I pass that way.

Dan earned his only speeding ticket about 4 years ago. He still had to pay the fine and for traffic school (ticket for 10 over & traffic school ran $140-$150) but it isn't on his record so insurance doesn't have record of it.