Sunday, July 27, 2008

Stinky bum. . .

Yes, I know you think this post SHOULD be about Roger, but no-- I am talking about my darling little 5 year-old Eliza (though Roger does have a dirty diaper about once or twice a day).

That's right, I have a stinky bum situation here. And it is NOT pretty. I thought I was done with this stuff, but no, I have been dealing with potty ACCIDENTS this month-- lots of them. I am talking major streakers here, folks. The girl just gets so busy she doesn't go to the bathroom until the last minute. Reasoning with her doesn't work. I even tried pulling the "you're going to Kindergarten soon, the kids will tease you and call you 'Stinky Bum,'" but that didn't work. Any ideas?

In her defense, today she was a little loose. There is something pathetically funny about a little girl trying to explain away an accident because she thought it was a toot, but it came out with more than she bargained for. . . . .

7 comments:

Timani said...

Oh no! You aren't alone, I'm dealing with a 7 yr old who during the summer is getting distracted by all the fun stuff, esp. playing outside. I don't wash that underwear, it goes straight to the trash. He's getting low.

I've had a couple of kids that I would tell to go to the bathroom at random times trying to avoid any mishaps. I had one kid that would stand in front of the TV and do the potty dance. "Do you need to go to the bathroom?" No. Dance more and pee right in front of the TV. I learned that if I just turned the TV off and didn't say anything, he'd start running.

Good luck!

Crystal said...

My daughter just turned 5 as well and we are having the same issue. She waits way too long and then runs in frantically trying to pull her pants down already nearly in tears because she can't get the buttons undone. I have no advice, but if you come up with something, let me know!

Crystal

Becky said...

I'm trying to remember at what age do they stop needing help wiping their bums? James just turned 4, and he still needs my help! But I don't think his preschool teacher will want to do it next month!

Kearl said...

Hit 'em where it hurts. In Noah's case, it's t.v. If he has an accident, he doesn't get t.v. the next day. It's really worked. We're down to only about one a month maybe.

Timani said...

Tonight at YW we were playing a game, one question was about sharing an embarrassing moment story. One very brave leader (NOT ME!)shared the same story about getting "more than she bargained for" when she was in 7th grade! Happened at school and she was wearing a skirt.

We were all rolling with laughter while some wiped tears from their eyes. So 5 isn't looking all that bad...much better than 12-13.

Iv said...

Sooo sorry - that's seriously not a behavior you want to revert back to! Kenna is constantly wet stinky from just letting dribbles out all day instead of sitting on the darn toilet and peeing! Love your writing - especially the long, passionate ones. You rock.

Melissa said...

Steve calls those "sharts"