Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School


I guess our Kindergarten didn't get the memo about school starting last week, because Wednesday was the first day of school for the twins. . . . .WOOOO HOOOOO (did you hear fever pitch in my voice?)!!! After reading many friends' accounts of their children's first day, I am pretty sure I might be the only mom who is thrilled to send her children on.

I think I'd be lying if I said that I was mostly excited for them to go to school so they could experience the world around them and progress in life. Though this is partly true, I think most of my excitement comes from the fact that my kids will be doing these things on someone else's time-- yeah, that's right, I'm excited to have a few hours in the morning free of, "I'm bored,","Davis hit me,","Can I start a project," and the all time-favorite, "Can I play Wii?" I'm feeling the guilt about this reality because a group of ladies I overheard were waxing nostalgic about how sad they were that their little ones wouldn't be under their constant tutelage. . . . . Does this mean I am a slacker?

Before I am judged too harshly I would like to add that I do love being a mom!! I never knew how rewarding it would be, and I was actually a little afraid of how I would feel. . . .I didn't quite understand why parents got so gushy about things like a first tooth, their child walking around the kitchen island and playing peek-a-boo, or the first day of Kindergarten. I found it a little nauseating how, while sitting with a group of moms, the conversation always drifted towards their children's antics and/or misdeeds. I secretly wondered if I was cut out for motherhood.

After much thought, I realize what it is that makes all these milestones so special. As a mom, you literally nourish this life inside of you for 9 months-- without you, the life would die. People talk about falling in love like it is a magical thing that just, poof!, happens. But I think love is an actions word, which, at the core, is all about giving. The act of service towards someone else is what love is all about. Why do we fall in love? Because we serve another human beings needs. Nourishing this baby for months and months, with no expectations of receiving anything in return is what makes you love the child. You love them because you serve them, and they need you.

And so the baby is born and you do everything for them. . . . you literally spend all day, every day with them. They are so helpless-- again, they NEED you. Then, suddenly, one day they smile, or roll over, or walk, or talk, or dress themselves, or ride a bike, or sing. These milestones are developmental, so from a global perspective, they are nothing remarkable. We expect these things from humans! But, as a mother you've watched this child go from doing absolutely nothing on their own (except pooping, there's always poop), to doing these amazing things. You get to watch first-hand, on an individual basis how amazing the human race really is. This is a bond in service/love that can not be broken. Parenthood truly is a miracle. My empathy for people in general has increased-- I'm beginning to understand what a blessing each individual on earth truly is. My experience in learning to love unconditionally has grown. So, in the end, I guess it is our kid's who really are the ones that are serving us.


Here's the kids on our block that are starting school with Davis and Eliza:

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Think of all the extra time you will have for blogging now!!!!!

Momma H. said...

I had my neighbor accuse me of doing cartwheels down our road the day that my last child (now a senior) got on the bus for kindergarten. He exaggerated a bit -- but I probably came close to wanting to do it. I loved school freedom!!
Aunt Beth

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Childern! Ahh....This takes me way back to my own day at Kindergarden in 1997. Today, I feel old. Wow!

The Cherry Family said...

Your blog post sounds very similar to another friend's post. She said she will probably never cry because her smile is too big and also wondered if she is a slacker. Having known both of you, slacker is not a word that comes to mind. There's a reason kids go to kindergarten. :)

Sarah Palfreyman said...

You have put my thoughts into words. I often look at kids older than Sage and think "You use a spoon BY YOURSELF??!" Its true. We see every little bit of progress and growth and so the normal things seem gigantic to moms.

Matt and Stephanie said...

My oldest started kindergarten this past week, too, and I think you and I share the same sentiment. He was ready and I was ready. The only thing that surprised me was the difficulty of the sibling separation. It's a fun new stage of motherhood I think; I celebrate his independence. Feel free to check out my "first day" story here:
http://www.diapersanddivinity.com/Diapers_and_Divinity/Blog/Entries/2008/9/2_Milestones.html

In the meantime, ENJOY the "free" time.

Timani said...

I lllllooooovvvveee love love love when they go to school! I was so excited when Seth went off to school, the smile absolutely could not be wiped off my face and I kept cheering in the halls. Everyone knew how happy I was...a month later I got horribly sick (pregnant) the freedom ended abruptly.

Unknown said...

Being the mother to twins is a whole new experience. It's a different kind of busy and insane life. So don't worry about it.

I was out wondering the internet looking for Mormon bloggers and found you. I linked your blog to one of mine, Mormon Bloggers Speak Out.

The purpose of this blog is to share with the world what Mormons are like in our many facets. What we believe, what we do, how we play, what we do for fun, our thoughts on family, Church, Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, life, standing for truth and righteousness, missionary work, doctrine, our countries, etc.

Each day, I, or a guest blogger, will post a blog so that there will be something new and wonderful on a regular basis. If you are interested in being a guest blogger, please drop me an email and let me know who you are. We also have a Hot Topics category, something interesting bloggers can write about if they are stumped for the day.

I'm very excited to launch this and hope that Mormon Bloggers across the globe will be willing to be included, and it is my fondest hope our friends of others faiths will drop by and see what we're really all about. These are Mormons blogging about being Mormons and just plain ol' people.

Darcee said...

I'm not sure if you remember us, but we lived in Monaco Court with you guys for awhile. And once, Brent and I watched Davis and Eliza for you guys and we thought we could NEVER do twins. Well, we have 10 month old twins if you can believe it! I stumbled upon your blog through old Monaco Court buddies. You know how it is. Just wanted to say hello and I can't believe how old your kids are! That's such good news that you are surviving!!!

Samantha said...

Beautiful! You mirrored my sentiment exactly and helped me not feel so guilty for smiling on the first day of school! ;)

And you're right ... there's ALWAYS poop...