Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bringing back the checkbook

A few years ago, I actually wondered about the shelf life of the old-fashioned check book. I really felt like it was doomed for death in the next decade. Nowdays we are blessed with checkcards and automatic payments on our banks' webpage. It seems that paperless is the new order of our time.

But, in the last month I think I am singlehandedly keeping the checkbook companies alive. Since school started, I have brushed the dust off of the old fake leather book sitting in my desk. I think I've written more checks during the last 4 weeks than I did during the last 4 years-- hmm, there are school fees and fundraisers, then it was the book order, and yesterday was a check for school pictures.

So, I guess my hunch about checkbooks becoming extinct may not be quite on. . . . .

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

yah, unless we switch all our kids to online education.
Man, those "non-profit" schools sure know how to hit you in the pocketbook, don't they?

Crystal said...

I didn't realize I was so behind the times. :) I still use my checkbook to pay at least 75% of our bills.

Prairie said...

They are also great for PIANO TEACHERS! I should know!

Melissa said...

I know what you mean! I was so confused when I had to write a check for preschool, they don't do online payments, so not only do I have to write a check, I have to MAIL it to them....I have not bought stamps since we were sending out thank you cards from our wedding...