Tuesday, September 9, 2008

In Defense of Life AND Choice

I am slightly confused by the fact that many people categorize themselves as 'pro-choice' on the issue of abortion. I am 'pro-life,' but hate to be classified as someone who is against choice.

Let's just look at this for a moment: barring issues of incest or rape, most women who find themselves pregnant had sex--by their own choice. One of the consequences of sex is, hmmmmm, pregnancy (and STD's, I might add). Therefore, in my mind, any woman who is pregnant made her choice when she had sex. Yes, I know, a man was involved. But we aren't men. We are women. The choice has different consequences for us. But we are aware of what they are.

In life there are consequences to most choices we make: break the speed limit and you risk getting a ticket, don't pay your taxes and you risk a penalty or even jail-time, shop-lift and you risk getting a misdemeanor. All of these choices have consequences affixed--as long as you are caught. Most people would argue that even if you aren't caught while shoplifting, you still committed a crime-- you still RISKED the chance of being handed a misdemeanor. This is a simple principle. Even my children understand that if they turn on the T.V. before they do their chores, they lost all T.V. privileges for the day. If you choose to have sex, you choose the possible option of pregnancy.

So, why, with the invent of abortion (something that circumvents the natural consequence of sex) are people suddenly arguing that by denying abortions (to save a life, I might add) a woman's right to choose has been violated? I repeat: the woman chose to have sex, the consequence is pregnancy. Her choice has not been violated at all. Of course there are incidents of a woman's health during a risky pregnancy or an unwanted pregnancy due to rape-- these cases are different and could possibly require a different set of rules regarding abortions.

If you choose to have sex, you choose a possible pregnancy (even if you use contraceptives, we all know there is risk involved). That's just the way it is. Sorry, women if you had an OOPS and you got pregnant-- that is part of the responsibility of being a woman who has sex. Sorry that being pregnant is really uncomfortable-- but there are scores of families out there who will raise your baby in a heartbeat. Let the child you created live! I believe we created this own evil monster of abortion when women could have sex free and clear-- no consequences attached. Maybe sex woudn't be so rampant among teens if abortions weren't legalized. Maybe there would be less unwed mothers if they actually took sex seriously! Maybe there would be less delinquent kids walking around. Maybe, just maybe, we could return to a more moral, decent, and responsible society.

So, please, stop telling me I am against choice. I am for choice, 100% for choice (sorry if it isn't the choice that you were talking about).

12 comments:

Crystal said...

Camilla, you need to come to twopeasinabucket.com and join me in the next abortion discussion/debate. You make very good poinits. It happens from time to time. Ohhh, I get so angry sometimes!

Just like you don't want to be labeled against choice, they say they don't want to be labeled pro abortion. So many describe themselves as against abortion, AND against taking away a woman's choice. That is the new definition of pro-choice.

They can't come to grips with what it is they are actually supporting when they take the pro-choice stance so they play little word games like this to make themselves feel better about it. Then pro-lifers are the evil ones who are taking away choice.

So you have to wonder, to be against abortion, but for choice doesn't really make sense. How can "choice" be so much more important than human life?

It's baffling to me how they've come to the conclusion of which of those two things is the more important one to protect. I'll NEVER understand it.

The Dunham Family said...

OK, I totally know our conversation sparked this blog entry. FYI, I agree with everything you said, even though I my lean toward the "other" canidate. Love ya.

Ben said...

Arguing for the importance of personal responsibility and accountability is not very popular these days.

Angela said...

I am standing up and clapping because you just said exactly what I feel and think.

Matt and Stephanie said...

Agreed. Women are very, very powerful because they can make decisions (choices) that affect themselves and others in very life-altering ways. All women must exercise this power to choose when they decide to have sex, when they decide to work/stay-at-home after children join them, etc. It takes a wise woman to realize that every choice has long-term consequences and then make her decision based on an analysis of the possible outcomes. Even my little children are learning this when they make a mistake, but don't want the consequence that goes with it; I always tell them "Finish your choice." I wish more women were courageous enough to finish their choices the right way.

Timani said...

sex = pregnancy? DANG, that's how this keeps happening!?! I wish someone had told me before, people always just say, "you know how that happens, don't you." But don't explain it. :)

By the way, I completely agree with you!!!!! You said it so well!

Juli said...

It's funny but that's always the way I've looked at it too. I think Ben brought back some article on this from some medical ethics class, maybe he and D were in the same one? It seems so simple to me when you look at it like this!

Christina said...

I agree with you 100%, Camilla! It just seems so clear to me!

Karlea said...

Nicely worded Camilla! This is the exact conversation I have had with many people...including a coworker who informed me of her second abortion while I was trying to adopt Connor. HELLO!!! I lost it at her with these same points. It was lost on her. I am sad and scared of a society that ignores logic, chooses evil and mocks our free will by calling it choice. You ought to submit this to the papers!

The Cherry Family said...

Well said Camilla. I agree 100%. Way to stand up for you beliefs.

Emma said...

Amen sister! If I could verbally voice my opinion well( I struggle in that area)you said EXACTLY what I would say. Perfectly said. BTW: This is Emma, my husband is at the U with D.

Ben said...

PS In the case of rape, a woman's choice was denied, and an abortion should be an option. Again, choice is the most important consideration.