Sunday, January 18, 2009

Grocery Store: Then and Now

Today, one of the cute young ladies in our ward (local congregation) shared her exciting news: she's getting married. She was joking that she isn't sure she knows how to grocery shop well enough to be married, but we reassured her that this was a skill that she would easily learn.

Then I started thinking about grocery shopping when D and I were first married. We'd go to the store together as a Friday night date. We'd lazily saunter up and down the isles and occasionally pick up a new item. It was, actually, a lot of fun!! And then, as life got busier (aka twins) D's stops at the grocery store became fewer and fewer.

My grocery store enthusiasm really didn't wane for quite some time--even when D was gone. For the first time in my life after the twins were born, I actually started making lists. . . .oh, what joy to cross an item off--as if I had accomplished something spectacular. I could even get that shopping 'high' as a decided between one brand or another, one treat or another. But, the 'high' was a non-guilty one because the money I spent at the grocery store was already budgeted for. To top things off--there was nothing funner than having two sleeping babies nestled happily in their carts.

As the years have wore on, I find all the joys of grocery shopping have slowly evaporated-- my cute, gentle babies quickly turned into tantruming toddlers, then whiny preschoolers, and now they don't stop asking for treats at the store. Where I used to enjoy using a grocery store trip as a way to get out of the house, I find now I long for a day when I don't have to LEAVE the house and shuttle bodies around. Now that I know every square inch of the grocery story, the mystery is gone--hence shoppers 'high' doesn't exist for me-nope, I try to get in, get out and be done as quickly as possible.

Anyway, I realize this is a pointless post, but I just want to say that I am SO excited to grocery shop just me and my husband someday, probably a long way away, in the future.

8 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Oh wow! It could've been me writing that post! I've experienced the EXACT same thing. Well, minus twins...I only had one baby sleeping peacefully in the cart at a time.

Liz said...

I'll just say AMEN! And...that is super hilarious about your thank you notes!!! Laughed out loud!!!

Stephanie said...

Camilla, I'm giving you a link to a post I wrote a long time ago, but I think it will give you a chuckle. I totally get what you're saying.

http://www.diapersanddivinity.com/Diapers_and_Divinity/Blog/Entries/2008/11/6_Get_real!__The_truth_about_grocery_shopping.html

Timani said...

Perfectly put. Dan and I did the same wandering around the store. We grocery shopped together until child #3 and then it became a pain to take everyone.

A few years back,I'd go to Wal-Mart when everyone was in bed, inc Dan and I'd wander the aisles for HOURS! A few times I'd be there for 4 or 5 hrs just slowly going up and down each aisle looking at everything and enjoying the I didn't have anyone asking for anything. I wouldn't get home until about 5 a.m.

Michelle Glauser said...

Yeah, I haven't figured out why Europeans like to buy groceries one, two, three times a week. If I had a big enough bag and big enough muscles and a big enough budget, I would buy enough for a year and never go back. I guess it is still interesting for me because of the different things you'll see in the stores here, but on a student budget I don't buy those things anyway.

Mary said...

My grocery store high is when I leave ALL of my kids at home with Daddy. I can shop with 1 or 2, but NEVER will I take all 4 unless I absolutely have to. We always just come home mad when that happens!

DD said...

How interesting, Camilla.
I find that Greg and I do now go grocery shopping together quite a bit! Though if I want to buy myself special treats it better not to have him along! He acts as a good brake when I want to buy bags of chocolates and interesting cookies. However, he still doesn't help put away groceries. That is what I have always hated.
Love,
Aunt DD

Melissa said...

I can't believe you had a time when both babies would sleep in the cart.

A lot of grocery stores have child care. I use mine a lot.

Congrats on your BOY