Monday, August 31, 2009

Perks of nursing, OR I've been reading a lot lately

One of the few not-so-great things about nursing is the fact you are forced to sit on your backside for long periods of time. Instead of feeling annoyed by this, I am embracing this opportunity to read--without the guilt of not getting something else done.
I just read the most AWESOME book. Zorro, by Isabel Allende. Haven't you always wondered how your favorite action-hero gets all those mad skills? You know, they drop-kick the villian from the building, aim two guns at two different places and acheive their target with deadly accuracy, and top it all off with a trick phone call in two different languages. Seriously, I always wonder how they do it. Well, this book explains the roots of the fabulous Zorro. The beginning is a little slow, but over the course of the book you learn about why this hero is motivated to stand up for injustice, learns latin, knows the enigmatic ways of the Native Indians, and can sword-fight with deadly accuracy. LOVED THE BOOK!! I highly recommend it with no bad language or somewhat embarrassing love scenes.
On the simple side. I've also read 4 delightful little books by Shannon Hale: Princess Academy, Goose Girl, Enna Burning, and River Secrets. The books are quick reads, found in the Young Adult fiction aisle, and just good plain fun!!

8 comments:

Sarah@The Best Stuff said...

Oh my...yes!! I read so much when I was nursing and I LOVED it. I've read all those Shannon Hale ones and loved them all. My girls are starting to read them now too. And I'm delighted to read your review of Zorro. I'm always looking for good books to read. Especially right now because I'm trying to figure out which books to take with me on mine and Bryan's vacation in a few weeks. :) So yay! Maybe I'll take Zorro!

Christine said...

I love the guilt free reading during nursing! I'll have to check out those books.

Rebecca Talley said...

I really enjoyed "Princess Academy." I never could read while nursing because I was always so mesmerized with my baby, though after nursing 10 kids I sure could've read a lot of books.

Sarah Palfreyman said...

way to look at the glass half-full :) I will have to check out Zorro. I am so glad you are happy. Also, I have been meaning to ask you (as I trust you with this sort of advice) about good potty-training books. I am not planning on potty-training Sage for awhile, but just wanted to get your suggestions.

Mary said...

Zorro sounds like an interesting read. I'm always on the look out for something new. My Mom recommended Goose Girl to me I really enjoyed it. I'll have to look into those others by Shannon Hale. Thanks for the review!

Jenny said...

I have some stories about Shannon Hale, if you're interested. Her younger sister is one of my closest childhood friends. Shannon rocks... she was always the "cool" older sister that I wished I'd had. Someday, I'll tell you the tales; they're a little inappropriate for this forum.

Love her books. I'd love some more recommendations from you.

Have you read, "These is my words"? If not, do it.

Michael n' Brooke Sanderson said...

I just finished Princess Academy and Goose Girl. Another one I really loved by Hale was Book of 1000 Days.

Becky said...

I've read Princess Academy. I'll have to check out her other ones. I'm currently reading Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens. Definitely NOT a quick read!