Thursday, January 21, 2010

Fourth child oops

After peeling a tangerine and having my darling baby beg in crying and flailing format for a bite, I gave him a wedge.  Then another.  Then another. Then another.

Then I remembered you are not supposed to give your baby citrus, right?  I can't even remember exactly but there are some red sirens going off in my brain right now, why didn't they go off 10 minutes ago?

Speaking of which. . . .Did any of you ever get into a conversation while pregnant and discover that tuna fish sandwich you'd been eating every day was bad for your fetus?  How about when there was an uproar outside of the nursery room because one of the aged leaders brought honey in for the kids to taste on her homemade bread?  How about the time you had a raging headache while pregnant and you spend ten minutes in front of the medicine cabinet trying to remember if it is tylenol or ibuprofen that you aren't supposed to be using?  And how about the butter/margarine controversy:  my head keeps spinning trying to decide if trans fats are worse than the extra cholesterol and saturated fat?

It is experiences like these that make me wonder how in the heck any of us survived until adulthood-- forget that, how about until age 5??  Now, don't get me wrong, I've got some friends whose kids did or still do have allergies and it is serious business, but sometimes I wonder who made up all these rules and how come I don't know about them???  In all seriousness, if we are going to freak out about not giving our kids honey until they are 3 on the off-chance that it might have a dangerous spore, then maybe we should just not get into the car with them because I bet the chances of them getting in a wreck are more likely. .  . . . .just food (no pun intended) for thought.

5 comments:

WOLF-PACK said...

My favorite is on the movie Hairspray where the two pregnant women are sitting at the bar sipping an alcoholic beverage with lighted cigarettes in hand. I don't feel so bad about the little mistakes I've made after seeing that!!

Heather said...

i ditto everything you just said... & i have done everything you just said too!!! :)
love ya.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Hilarious! And I so did the tuna whoops each pregnancy. A friend of mine with her children did it all by the book. Introduce veggie baby food at __ months. Then fruits at ____ . Then egg whites at ___. I would have been in the looney bin.

Camilla Millar said...

Egg whites? Crap, I made eggs for breakfast yesterday.

Melissa@thebblog said...

My prego no-no was the baths. Seriously, my back hurt so bad and if I can't take my old friend - Ibuprophen - then who am I to turn to but the bathtub. I tried to keep the water semi-cooler than my normal scorching hot temperature. As long as I didn't come out red then it was cool enough right? No matter, after baths 99% of the nights from 7 months on, my baby seems to have not been boiled inside my womb so it's all good.