Friday, January 29, 2010

Did any one else notice. . .

. . .that sometimes I get a little carried away?  I just posted this and, thanks to Kerri, my local scriptorian/runner/musician/mom extraordinaire I was put in my place. Check comments!

Did any one else notice in the Republican response to the State of the Union address given by Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell, he quoted the D&C 82:3, "unto whom much is given, much is required?"

I looked up the speech online today and it was framed in this context:
And no government program can replace the actions of caring Americans freely choosing to help one another. The Scriptures say "To whom much is given, much will be required." As the most generous and prosperous nation on Earth, it is heartwarming to see Americans giving much time and money to the people of Haiti. Thank you for your ongoing compassion.

When I heard that, I looked at D and was like, "Isn't that a scripture mastery scripture?" 

He said, "Yeah. I think that is in the Book or Mormon or D&C.  I don't think it is the Bible."

So, I had a chuckle this morning when I finally had a chance to look up the scripture and the speech.  I wonder if he knew he was quoting modern day scripture and not the Bible.  I imagine some junior, Mormon speech writer whose section of the speech was kept in the final draft scored big. . . .hee hee!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow! That's neat. I didn't hear it.

Kerri said...

Camilla, it's in Luke 12, also. :) (Sorry...)

Liz said...

Yup, Kerri's got it. Luke 12:48. But still cool speech none the less.

Camilla Millar said...

Oh, Kerri, you've always got my back. . .I really thought I was on to something! Guess I better amend my post.

Becky said...

It's also in Spiderman (ha ha)! Pretty much--I guess it's more like "with great power comes great responsibility!" Don't quote me on that.

The Dunham Family said...

It is also in Spiderman, the movie.
Just watched it.

Ryan and Kim said...

I thought he sounded like a general authority or something. I had a hard time listening to him because he was talking about politics, but sounded like a church leader...weird of me, I know.

Kerri said...

Camilla, you crack me up. I'm not extraordinary at anything and you well know it :).

Miss you, though!