Monday, June 23, 2008

1 down, 5 to go (or 6 or 7)

Today is officially D's last day as an intern (woop, woop)! That means it is one year down and in the books. I can honestly say that it hasn't been the worst year ever (though times were really, really, really hard), but I also feel like we've been very blessed.

Things I won't miss about intern year:

1) The lowest paid year of D's life (hopefully the lowest) (if you don't count med school)-- we get a raise tomorrow!

2) The alarm clock going off at 4:00 A.M. because the intern is the first one in the hospital to 'pre-round' on all the patients.

3) The shocking first few months as an intern's wife-- you know, the ones where I realized this rotation isn't going to end any time soon and yes, my husband will be gone 80+ hours per week.

4) Watching the neighbors get in the car to drop their kids off for preschool-- while I prepare for preschool at my place (you know, trying to save money by not paying for preschool tuition x2)

5) Taking the kids trick-or-treating by myself and celebrating their birthday a day late.

6) Going to church husbandless for 8 weeks in a row-- at least one of which I did Sharing Time while holding my little guy in my arms (after that day I had really sore arms).

7) Getting really disappointed when at 6:15 D calls and says, "Sorry, I'm not getting out of here any time soon."

So there's my boo-hoo's but, on top of the rough days, we had some great experiences.

1) D had Thanksgiving and Christmas off (what a blessing!) by sheer luck and fortune.

2) When D was set apart as EQ President, he was blessed that his calling would not interfere in his career. I can truly say there have been so many days he has come home and said he know he was blessed that day because although he didn't study for a conference or case (due to a EQ meeting or activity) he was able to answer questions or remember how to perform a procedure.

3) I might even miss teaching preschool.

4) I've learned I can, indeed, survive-- even thrive?-- with my husband gone 80+ hours per week.

5) I've learned that when I make FHE a priority, my sanity level increases.

6) We've learned that D has found his life calling: he loves being a doctor and looks forward to advancing his surgical skills.

7) I've learned that even if my house is dirty and the laundry needs cleaning, sometimes I just need to leave to protect myself and the kids from my tempers.

8) I've learned to add at least an hour to my husbands expected arrival time (even when he says he'll be home in a half hour).

9) Basically, I've learned that when I expect something out of my husband, I am only disappointed, therefore I learned if it supposed to be done, do it yourself.

10) I've also learned my husband is very cheerful, even when he's tired--very, very tired.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Rebecca said...

Gotta love the first year! I loved this post because there were quite a few that I could relate to with Bryant in his General Surgery year. Like you, there were also so many amazing blessings that came with the trials.

Timani said...

RAH-RAH-RAH! That's my cheer ;)

How very exciting to have a year down and a pay raise! I'm glad you found some things to enjoy and hopefully you've also found out that you "can do hard things." Much more than you thought you'd be able to handle.

Plus I always say, (I HATE HATE HATE housework!!!!!!!!) the housework isn't going anywhere, it'll be here for me when I get home. So I just go and do whatever and put it off again. Unfortunately it doesn't take care of itself, but I need many breaks from all of the things I'm responsible for.

The whole intern thing is why I quit having babies at the U and why the last time I did I said, "NO students, interns or residents." The previous time the intern came in at 4, the resident at 5 and the attending at 6 that was all from Peds. I hadn't gotten to my room until 2 a.m., of course everyone had to wake me up.

Heather said...

You have said it so PerFecT!!!! :) Congrats on surviving your intern year! I can't believe that my husband is starting his 3rd year!!!
Sounds like a celebration to me! :)

{i will e-mail you to let you know when i will be in town}:)

Sarah Palfreyman said...

I so relate to this post. I just barely got called to Primary Presidency and I am still trying to figure it out without a husband. And yes, those first few months are rough. I definitely feel like I am more seasoned in my expectations and abilities. CONGRATULATIONS.

Becky said...

Yay! Now you can change it to "y2" on the resident wife blog. Jeromy starts his 3rd year July 1st. I'm holding out till then to make the change! Congrats to both of you for surviving the first year.

Jenny said...

So what if the pay raise is $45 a month more, right?

Ditto, ditto, and ditto to everything you just said. Now, Nate's DEALING with interns on night float and begs me to reassure him that he wasn't so completely pathetic when it was him...

Kelli said...

This gave me a lot to think about with Jared finishing his med school application. It's going to a long haul. But I'm sure it will be great.