Thursday, June 26, 2008

I just called my Senators, it was really easy!

Did you know. . . .that on July 1st, there is a 10% payment cut to PHYSICIANS for the services they provide to Medicare patients? In case you weren't aware, physicians are barely being paid enough to cover their costs when they treat these patients. That's right, every time a medicare patient visits his/her physician, their payments (by the government) barely even pay for the physician's time, tests. and overhead. Since I personally know a physician (quite a few, actually), I know they work endless hours to help and provide a better life to these patients. The governments flawed payment formula will force physicians to stop accepting medicare patients-- how can they treat patients if they aren't being paid enough to cover their bills? A 10% cut in payments would be a HUGE blow to medicare patients and the doctors who treat them.

The Senate will be voting in the next 2 days on a new, compromise bill to avert the July 1 Medicare physician payment cuts. You need to call your senators TODAY and ask them to vote YES to House Bill 6331. For the first time ever, I called my Senator's office. It was easy. I just dialed this number: 1-888-434-6200. After I called, I dialed in my 5 digit zip code and chose which Senator to call. I was then connected to the Senator's office. I left a message on the answering machine in one office, and spoke to the secretary in the other, I introduced myself and urged the Senator to vote FOR House Bill 6331, which would avert physician payment cuts. I was really nervous, but it was simple. You should try it!!

3 comments:

Timani said...

You can email them also at utahsenate.org and if in the neighborhood stop by the Capitol building and write them a message on the blue paper. It's really easy. If they are there, a secretary will notify them and they will usually come out and talk to you personally.

Nichole said...

good for you! letting our voice be heard is the only way we can keep control and be involved. proud of you!

Heather said...

hey camilla, you don't need to post this but, I need your email address so we can get together while i'm in utah. I can't find where I put it.
I will be in town July 7th-30th.
I can't wait to meet you & talk,talk & more talk!
Where do you want to go eat?? or do??
love,
heather