Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Here's my top memories of good 'ole Dad:

1) My parents going to the temple A LOT when I was growing up-- I liked babysitters!

2) The summer that Dad and I hiked for a half hour in the evenings (I was 12 or 13, I think). I remember Dad picking up empty soda cans and wrappers-- this made me more aware of my environment and how we should realize everyone enjoys earth together.

3) Dad giving me the '5 minute warning' before church while I was a teen. And then when I was late he said 'Time's up! Don't worry so much about how you look at church." He seriously got us all to church on time EVERY WEEK!! That simple thing showed me how important he thought the meetings were.

4) Dad getting up early on Saturdays to work in the yard. He always started the day off with a trip to the gas station for a soda.

5) Golf, golf, golf. . . . . .need I say more?

6) Dad got these HORRIBLE season tickets to the BYU basketball games when I was about eight (they were seriously like 5 rows from the very top!). I LOVED GOING TO GAMES WITH DAD!! He let me buy a special treat, and I learned the rules of basketball from him. When I was older we went to football games together too, but by that time I had to share trips to the games with my younger siblings who were old enough by then to go to games.

7) When I was eighteen and my family moved to Colorado, I stayed in Utah to finish my senior year of high school. On my birthday, I walked past the front office at school and noticed a gorgeous flower arrangement in the window. About an hour later I got a note that there was something waiting in the office for me-- it was the flowers, with a special note from my Dad.

8) On my sixteenth birthday Dad took me out to dinner for my first date. I thought that was really special.

9) Dad always cooked the main course for Sunday dinner-- I think in another life he should have been a chef.

10) Dad's parents divorced when he was very young and his mom didn't have much money. He worked hard around Brigham City as soon as he was old enough to get a job (most certainly before 16).

11) Dad made it through college in 3 years, working the whole time, and used his leftover student loans and money he earned to send himself on a mission when he was 22.

I'm sure there's more, but I gotta go. LOVE YOU DAD!!

No comments: