Thursday, April 8, 2010

The 1:00 A.M. visit

Last night we had a little visitor.  Eliza came upstairs in a fret to tell us that her nightlight wouldn't turn on.  D stumbled down the stairs very reluctantly to check it out.  The verdict was the power was out. "Strange," he thought after he checked the street lights outside and noticed it wasn't just our house.  Then he and Eliza made a phone call to the power company--yes, in the middle of the night (those sorts of things don't ever even occur to me).  D was told that a power line had fallen and 1,000 homes in the area were out of power.  So, if you were wondering why your alarm clock was blinking and didn't go off this morning, now you have your answer.

Eliza reluctantly went back to bed with a flashlight propped up in the corner of the room. . . .

4 comments:

Liz said...

I wonder how many times cute Eliza wakes up in the night and checks on her nightlight? You guys are good parents to give her a flashlight. :) Jeff and I were in bed when it went off, but I wasn't asleep yet. Jeff had a humidifier on and it stopped humming, that's how I noticed. Jeff said it looked eery looking down our street without any of the street lamps on. Crazy! Glad it's back up and running.

Sarah said...

The exact thing happened to us, only it was Peter. How do they know the night light was not on?

Christina said...

Yes, we realized the power had gone out, too, in the middle of the night. Ezra woke up screaming since his nightlight was out. Eric set up a lantern for him and everything was all better.

Ryan and Kim said...

Our carbon monoxide detector beeps when the power goes out, so it woke us up. I got up looked out the window and said, "Yep the power is out. Ryan, should I call the power company. Nah, someone else will do it."

So I was totally right. I know I can count on D and Eliza!