Friday, April 30, 2010

Cheating can be so easy sometimes

Amid my frustration last night at my twins' disregard of their homework, I caught my first whiff of the inclination to cheat.  I also figured out why teachers want to split up twins.

The assignment.  Cut out about 25 words in the spelling word family of the week (oi and oy) then sort the words under their appropriate category card.  The assingment is really quite easy--except for the cutting part. The twins got this brilliant plan to circumvent the hard part.

"Here Davis, you cut up this side of words. and I'll cut up the other one."

"Hey, I was thinking the exact same thing.  That was my idea too!"

I interrupt the little cheaters, "Guys, you can't do that!  That's cheating.  You both have to cut up the words yourself."

"Why?"

"Because if someone else does your homework, you don't learn things for yourself.  If you guys weren't in the same class you'd both be getting different assignments anyway that you'd have to do separately."

"But, we're in the same class."

"But, you won't always be."

"But we are now."  Hmmm, abstract thinking.  At what age does that kick in?

"Just do your own work."

Honestly, I left the room, so I don't know if they listened.  I am glad, however, that I didn't get in the conversation about how scissor skills are necessary for their progression into college.  Cause I'm pretty sure I would have lost that argument.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Now that's teamwork! Julia had cut-and-sort spelling in second grade, and I quite often did the cutting for her! She did the brain work, and I did the physical labor, just to speed things along when she had lots of homework.

Timani said...

Go Team Millar!!! Think working by yourself is a hard concept to learn, especially since they've had a partners from get go.