Wednesday, April 21, 2010

If only it smelled as good as it looks

I did the zealous spring gardening trip yesterday.  There is just something about having your lawn green up and the bulbs pop their heads out of the ground that makes you ridiculously excited to go spend money on your yard.  The problem is that usually I do this big trip and a bundle of plants sit in my yard just begging to be planted- for weeks.

After spending so much money on the yard last year, I am really motivated to clean up my back patio and garden so it looks specatcular.  I pulled out the leaf blower and blew away the last remnants of the leaves (again. . . .why does the wind keep blowing those blankity-blank things into the areas I've already cleaned up).  Unfortunately, blowing away the leaves also seems to take a layer of mulch with it.  Anyway, while at the store, I bought 4 bags of topsoil.  As I opened the first bag, an overwhelming farm-stench waifed its way on out of the bag.  I was concerned, but thought it probably wouldn't be too bad once it was out in the flowerbeds.

I was wrong.  Now I have beautifully soiled and groomed flower beds surrounding my back patio, which incidentally is adjacent to my back door-the entrance most people use.   But the smell is not good.  My neighbor told me the smell should dissapate after a week or two.

In the meantime, if you're walking past my house, you'll need some noseplugs.

5 comments:

Heather said...

hahahahah :) lets see pictures please!

Michael n' Brooke Sanderson said...

Are you sure you bought top soil and not manure aka fertilizer?

Camilla Millar said...

Yeah, it was definitely topsoil-but the cheapest brand Home Depot carries, so I guess they threw a little 'filler poop' in there.

Timani said...

Too funny...I was going to ask the same thing about topsoil and manure, but I guess that has already been done.

Melissa@thebblog said...

i think my dad bought that same topsoil with filler poop last summer. At least it's not August when It's really, really hot and therefore stinky!!! Like you, I have flowers waiting to be potted on my driveway - 1 1/2 weeks now . . .