Sunday, August 31, 2008

do a good deed. . . hug your doctor

Holy cow! D has worked 5 AM- 8PM since Monday (on Wednesday he was home at 6:45, but on Thursday he didn't get home until midnight). Last night he was covering trauma call and the burn unit and didn't sleep a wink all night. He got home about 12:30 for lunch. . . . .then he tried to read to the kids (but pretty much fell asleep for a couple of hours). He settled down for bed an hour ago and DING!! the dreaded pager rings-- some man just had an industrial accident with sulfuric acid (who knows where he was working on a Sunday night?), so now he's headed out the door to the hospital. By my calculations, that is about 105+ hours at the hospital this week!

I am constantly blown away by the amount of work that is required by residents, doctors, and the like. Sometimes I get mad and say, "It's not fair. When do you get time off?" D replies, "If I don't help these people who is going to? There isn't anyone else."

I know doctors can be irritating, hurried, callous, or vague sometimes, but after watching D go through this, I just feel like we should give them a break-- they really have given so much of their life to others.

My vote: When you get a chance, thank your doctor for his hard work now, and the long hours he spent in training to get where he is . . . . maybe he'll/she'll appreciate it, IF he hasn't left the room to visit a different patient.

7 comments:

Timani said...

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hug YOUR doctor sometimes.

Dan said D was complaining about the hours last week, saying SURG was on them for working over 80, except they CAN'T do everything they NEED to in those 80 hrs.

Heather said...

Nate starts night float tonight....
all of Sept.. Nov.... & Dec...
i need all the advice i can get since you just ended that!!!!
Poor D i hope he can get a break hear soon!!
I might be callin you this week!! :)

Mindy Burns said...

Amen, Sister!

Matt and Stephanie said...

a good point; we should probably do a lot more thanking for all the work people do (I hope my kids read this and buy me chocolate), except for the clerks who work at wal-mart and answer your questions with brilliant customer service answers like this: "Uh, no, I don't think we sell that, and if we do I don't know where it would be."

missliss5/Melissa said...

80 hour work weeks would be so nice if they EVER happened, 'eh?

Rebecca said...

Sounds familiar. Some weeks are just like that. I've learned that it seems work when you count the hours.

Momnerd said...

Not only has this inspired me to thank my doctor, it has also inspired me to be more grateful for my husband's job. I have so much respect for you and your family. I don't think I could do it!