Friday, August 15, 2008

to dog or not to dog

I must confess, I am not an animal person. It isn't that I dislike animals, it's just that the hair and poop and barking and puking and drooling and meowing and sniffing get in the way of me ever really wanting a pet of my own. But, for the first time in my life, I can see myself as a dog owner--well, not really me as the dog owner, but Roger.

The little dude is OBSESSED with dogs and cats. He points them out at the park or across the street. Whenever the neighbor is out with his dog, Roger squeals in delight and runs across the street to say hello (fortunately there have been no cars and we are now aware that he will indeed take off if Greta (the dog) is in sight).

Well, my heart nearly melted this week when we visited a friend and Roger followed the cat around for a half-hour. This cat was so not cat-like--he let Roger touch his face and ears and he didn't run away when Roger laid on top of him to give him a hug. This family also has a few dogs--one is a rat terrier and one is that companion dog that you always see in the royal family paintings. I always thought I would be a big dog person-- but these little dogs were absolutely adorable. They weren't yappy or annoying and were very well behaved (usually that is NOT how I picture a small dog).

For the first time in my life I am actually picturing myself as a dog owner. When I hear D talk about his childhood dog with such fondness I can't help but picture my little Roger chasing a dog around the neighborhood. A dog just didn't fit with my other kids, but with Roger I can imagine it. Guess I'll have to sit on this one for awhile.

6 comments:

Nichole said...

definitely sit on it. it's like adding to more babies to your life!

in my opinion worth it...but for a so so dog person. work work work!

Heather said...

ditto to the first comment...it's adding another child to your life!!:)
Think about it though!! ;)
Thanks for your comment it meant a lot..

Timani said...

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOO! :)

Actually I could care less if you have a pet, but if you are struggling with D being gone a lot adding an optional thing to take care of in his absence could be too much.

Think of the house-breaking, barking all night, getting loose and having to chase it down or making arrangement for it when you go out of town, kids stepping in the poop in the backyard (you know it'll happen) and shoveling it yourself, since the kids aren't old enough and D is always gone. Can you tell I'm not a big fan. I watch ALL my neighbors take care of their dogs and say to myself, "NO WAY!"

Rebecca said...

I vote no...we love our dog, but NO!!! They poop, getting dog sitters when you go out of town, digging, shedding, smelling, licking, washing hands after they touch it, more food..more water...did I mention the poop grows with it?

Becky said...

I'm anti-dog. It's actually a source of contention between Jeromy and me! I'm with Timani on this one.

Here's my advice: Don't get all excited about getting a dog just because Roger likes them! Definitely wait a long while to make sure there are plenty of other reasons YOU want a dog.

Rebecca said...

I'm re-commenting. Amongst the no's...you're only a kid once.