Monday, August 4, 2008

Title of "Favorite" goes to:

I know, I know all parents tell their children that they love them equally. I'm pretty sure I love my kids equally, but I have a dirty little secret: I have a favorite. Guess who it is?

If you guessed Davis or Eliza or Roger, you got it right.

I realized today that I cycle between liking one child more than another one. Sometimes my favorite earns the title due to an obedient act, sometimes it is a hug, kiss, or cute saying directed at yours truly. Sadly, I must admit, sometimes my favorite child is because they do something better than the other kid-- and I am not kidding (sadly, Davis passed his swimming level off, but Eliza didn't-- guess who I felt a little prouder of? Don't worry, he lost the title quickly when he took about 30 minutes to get shoes and socks on for church) Sometimes the title of 'Favorite' is more like 'Least Annoying.' To make matters worse, sometimes my favorite child on an outing is the one who looks the cutest or does something adorable that a stranger comments on(arghhh, pitiful or what?)

Do any of you other mom's out there feel like this, or am I totally the most wicked mom on earth?

6 comments:

Nichole said...

you are totally wicked! i'm in the same boat. now i know why mom spends the most time with certain kids and grandkids. personalities click and it's easier. i'm all for easier.

Timani said...

I COMPLETELY know! I do that exact thing, but have never been able to verbalize it that well.

The sad thing is, I have a child that is a 'favorite' much more often than any of the others. He (that's right, not she) is so willing to help me, just does chores without throwing a fit and asks, "what's my next job." He gives me neck massages or foot rubs without asking and does his homework automatically. Plus he'll caringly ask, "Mom, how are you today?" Isn't hard to understand why he's my favorite most often. I also have one that is my 'unfavorite' most frequently and that's pretty rough, I do feel guilt.

Heather said...

I feel the same way sometimes as well.. My favorite was marlee last night.. she broght me a diet coke in bed while i was reading "breaking dawn" :)

missin you guys~

Liz said...

Same here! I think it's mostly who is being most obedient or least annoying! I'm noticing that when they are not my "favorite" they are NOT my favorite for the entire day! It's sad to say that they get on my nerves, but they do. I have to remind myself that I LOVE them! You're not alone on this one!!!

Becky said...

I can totally relate! As long as you rotate, I think you're fine!

missliss5/Melissa said...

After my 2nd child was born, I was completely overwhelmed with love for him. I started to feel guilty and wonder if I was a terrible Mom to love him MORE. Then as time went on, I realized it was probably my heart opening up to love that new little baby. And like you said, my "favorite" rotates around. Those proud Mom moments come and go and take turns. I try SUPER hard to soak those moments up.