Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Grinch

I'll post pictures later. . . .but I can't stop thinking about this experience. We were planning to drive to Alpine Christmas afternoon to be with the family, but the storm was really bad down in Utah County so we ended up going to a movie near our house instead--The Tale of Desperaux. I know, I know, seeing a movie on Christmas makes someone else have to work on the holiday. . . . . . . .I don't want to think about that and feel guilt--so I won't.

The weirdest thing happened to D while he was waiting in line to fill up a drink. There was a little machine and people were waiting patiently when a woman came storming up and asked, "Is this the line for drinks?" "Yes," everyone else replied. Well, the woman stood there for a moment and then exclaimed, "One person at the fountain at a time? That is so inefficient!" She then stormed past everyone in line and began grabbing two cups. D said she practically knocked over this really tiny lady who was taking her turn.

As she began her violent drink-filling escapade, someone else in line said, "Why can't you just wait 60 seconds till it's your turn?" This strange woman then smugly replied, "Sixty seconds? In my line of work 60 seconds is worth 100 dollars." She then kept muttering things about one person filling at a time when there was room for two--how inefficient (D said she used that word a lot).

I think the tiny woman who was being pushed by crazy lady had had enough. She then asked, "What line of work are you in? I am an attorney, and I don't make 100 dollars in a minute. . . . ."
I guess that line--admittedly a bit of a stinger-- pushed this woman over the edge. She was done getting her drink, but had to wait in line--in front of the tiny attorney she had insulted and butted in front of. She kept turning around and throwing comments at her. . . . "An attorney? You must be a horrible one to be so inefficient!" And then she started raising her voice and throwing the B-word at this lady. D just couldn't believe what he was seeing (mind you the little attorney probably had some curt replies which further egged on the crazy-lady behavior). He felt like if he intervened and said something the crazy lady would start hitting people! Now he wishes he would have said, "Why don't you go in front of me. We can see that you are very anxious to go and get to your movie."

I am just one of those people who perseverates about stuff like this. I can't stop thinking about this lady. No one likes waiting in line for a drink (or whatever else) when you know the movie has already started--but I can hardly believe someone would behave that way over missing a few minutes. I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt (like when they cut you off, or scurry in line in front of you at the grocery store), but I can not think of any way to let this lady off the hook. Her behavior was uncalled for! And on Christmas!! What an unhapy life she must have to lose her cool over a drink machine. . . . even an 'inefficient' one.

In the meantime, we keep trying to figure out what 'line of work' she must have been in-- food service? D thinks she must be a pole dancer. . . . . what do you think? Maybe a government agent?

7 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

How absurd. What a witch. I think she was full of crap and doesn't really have a job that pays that much, but she was just trying to toot her own horn. That's just ridiculous.

Crystal said...

Wow. Some people are so strange. I don't think I would have been able to refrain from throwing my own comments her way.

As for line of work? The only person I've ever known personally who made $100 an hour was a clinical psychiatrist I worked with... Or my husband's boss. He makes more than that per hour, but he's pretty laid back because of it. Not psycho. He can afford to chill out and take his time. Seems to me like she could afford to wait in line for a minute or at least afford to buy herself some manners. What does money have to do with waiting for your turn anyway?

The Cherry Family said...

High paying call girl. I bet she could be really efficient at that.

Melissa said...

I'm thinking a professional gambler

or the mistress for a Oil Lord Sultan

I love it.

Timani said...

Maybe her problem is she doesn't believe in Christmas. When I witness people acting like that, I'm always at a loss for words.

Melissa@thebblog said...

I used to have a billing rate of $100 per hour in public accounting but I only made about $25 an hour. How does that work?

So much for the Christmas spirit!

Kearl said...

Wow! That is truly incredible. If I were D, I would have probably been too shocked to react. I like the attorney's comment. And the one that someone else posted about "she should be able to buy herself some manners". I'm going to store that away in case I ever meet pole-dancer myself.