Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Twin Test

I guess since I've had twins people always ask me if I think I'll have twins again. They also tell me often that they are worried they might be having twins because they are 'bigger' with this pregnancy than the last one. I get asked what my symptoms were like with the twins i.e. sicker, bigger, etc.

Nope, I don't think I'll have twins again. I just think it was a remarkable fluke of nature, but one that won't be repeated. I never really thought I'd have twins before Davis and Liza, and just don't think about it much still.

As for if YOU are going to have twins (feeling bigger with pregnancy #2,3 or whatever) here's the test: Roll over on your stomach during week 10 of your pregnancy (bladder empty). If it feels like you have an orange lodged inside your abdomen (your uterus)- you ARE bigger (and I am talking an orange here, not a walnut or anything). If you don't really feel much (except gas or nausea) your 'feeling bigger' is probably due to stretched out ab muscles that aren't as tight as they were with your last pregnancy.

I remember very vividly rolling onto my stomach at 10 weeks with the twins and feeling the 'orange belly,' but with Roger and this new baby (even though I was/am practically ready to convert to maternity wear) I can't feel my uterus expanding yet. With a single baby your uterus doesn't grow as fast. Since the twins were my first pregnancy, I didn't know that I was actually so big--it was all new to me at that time!

Good luck with my Twin Test. Let me know if it was a good predictor for you. . . . . . .

15 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

That's cute!! And speaking of cute, the picture of your 3 kids-----ADORABLE!!!!!! Don't you just LOVE it??? Who did that for you?

Camilla Millar said...

D's sister, Suzee Anderson, is a photographer and did it for us (too bad that my husband couldn't make the photo shoot and it ended up just being the kids--seemed weird to have me but not him). She does a great job and gives family a very hefty discount. Thanks Suzee!

Liz said...

I hope I never have to take that test!!! :) I think your kids look darling as well! Jeff walked in when I was looking at them and said, "Is that Rogie? He's so big!" They all look so good!

Kristin and Brandon Park said...

cute new picture of the kids... they are darling!!! i hope we can catch up with you guys when we are in town the 24th-28th.
i like the new layout too!

buckydent78 said...

Your new pic of the kiddos is sooooo cute. -jandee

Lark said...

Love the picture - your kids are really cute and good job getting them all to smile/look happy!

Ok, I love this "twins test" - since I unfortunately don't feel like I'm done having kids, I'll try it out next time. :)

Timani said...

Sure, now you give the Twin Test advice! I think I would have failed miserably and many times. Even at 5 months along it was a huge shock!

Jenny said...

Camilla,

CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy! I am thrilled for you, and wish you the best, from a completely, 100% empathetic friend (minus twins.) I love the picture of your beautiful kids, too!

I just read your comments on my blog. Thanks for keeping in touch with me much better than I reciprocate. I think of you often and pop in on your articulate, thoughtful, and often hilarious posts as much as I can. Please publish something.

I really would love to talk sometime. We are clones. That's interesting about D and his interest in burn/critical care. We're currently bypassing the colorectal scene (with some degree of relief on my part), because of a deep and intense love affair that Nate has developed with peds surgery. It's a life crisis, for sure! Camilla, I'm doomed! It's also a 2+ year fellowship...

Anyway, sorry for the long comment. Have a great Christmas!

Jenny

Mary said...

What an adorable picture of your kids. I can't believe how old they are getting. It's been way too long since I've see you. I think the last time I saw you was when we bumped into each other in Park City at the outlet mall and Roger was just little, little!

Nichole said...

that is a very interesting test. hopefully get to try it =D

Crystal said...

Ooh Camilla, I hope I never have a reason to even think of trying that test. I don't know how moms of multiples do it! One baby is hard enough for me.

Such a cute picture of your kids. I love it.

Juli said...

Your kids look so cute! I don't have a need for this particular test right now, though I swear the slightest sign of nausea or tiniest bump in my stomach convinces me I'm pregnant nowadays. Do you have a test for that so I don't have to go out and buy millions of pregnancy tests? Those things are expensive!

Camilla Millar said...

Juli, I found this tidbit so important, I even left a note on your blog-- DOES EVERYONE KNOW THE DOLLAR STORE AND BIG LOTS CARRY PREGNANCY TESTS FOR CHEAP? They work just fine--same principle as all tests (I swear the lab I worked in used the exact same test as the ones at the dollar store--and they probably charged $25 for a test!)

Ben said...

Orange belly?

Camilla Millar said...

Ben--orange belly-- must be a female thing. Of course orange belly quickly becomes cantaloupe belly followed by watermelon belly. . . .but orange belly isn't really visible from the outside--but you can feel it on yourself when you roll over--back me up here ladies. . . .