Tuesday, April 29, 2008

grocery dilemma

While I was at the store today I was reminded of a choice I constantly battle over: do I buy the broccoli crowns OR the whole broccoli? The crowns are always more expensive, but they generally seem to be the fuller and more desirable vegetable whereas the whole broccoli seems to be really stem heavy and kindof wimpy on top. Because of this I feel like I sometimes purchase MORE of the whole broccoli just so I can have more of the crown. I usually don't eat the stems so I cut them off (although if you peel off the skin, the stem is actually really good-but this requires peeling the stem).

So, what's the verdict? Is the stem cutting enough to offset the poundage saved by buying the crown? Please let me know. I am in a state of confusion.

1 comment:

Lark said...

I am very excited to comment on this post because I have had this same dilema. I used to buy the broccoli with stems because they are cheaper, then go home and cut them off and only eat the crowns. Then one day I looked at the crowns and noticed they were only about 10 cents more sometimes and I thought, I am cutting off that 10 cents when I get home so I might as well buy the crowns. That was my "ah-ha" moment and I haven't looked back.