Wednesday, April 16, 2008

vertically challenged

Davis and Eliza have always been small for their age. For you moms out there, by small, I mean under the 3rd percentile for their age. They've always followed the normal growth curve, but just were significantly below it.

The twins went to their 5-year-old well check up last Friday. After taking all their measurements, we decided that maybe it was finally time to look a little more thoroughly into their growth patterns. Given their current rate of growth, Eliza's predicted adult height would be somewhere between 4'9"-4'11" while Davis would be between 5'3"-5'6".

So, the twins had x-rays of their wrists and hands taken and their bones were compared to a standard chart of the average child's bone. Fortunately, there was no sign of abnormal growth, just delayed growth. Davis's bone age was 4 years while Eliza's was 2 years, 6 months. This delay means two things: 1) it is a possible sign of a deficiency in growth hormone for them both and, 2) it also means since their bones appear younger they may, in actuality, have longer time to grow to maturity (aka, they'll be late bloomers, and possibly taller than the aforementioned predictions).

Now that we have this information, we'll probably be meeting with a pediatric endocrinoligist (they specialize in chidren's hormones) to discuss options for the future. Davis and Eliza's cousin, Ammon, has been diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency and is currently taking daily shots of this hormone to improve his chances to be, um, a more normal adult height. We were excited to visit them this weekend because Ammon just became a big brother (congratulations Suzee and Scott). Suzee (Ammon's mom, D's sister) showed us the needles and hormones and sharps container that have become a daily part of their life.

Now, I may be a little early in this line of thought (we haven't yet met with an endocrinologist or gotten more conclusive tests), but I am imagining whether or not I would want to make a daily shot a part of our lives. The cons are obvious. Would the benefit outweigh the downers of daily pain, scary needles, a sense of somehow not being "normal", etc.?

Given Eliza and Davis's possible predicted growth (see above, worst-case scenario) should we embark upon the shots? Comments appreciated and cast your vote in the poll.

9 comments:

Heather said...

You are a wonderful mom & I know you will do the right thing! MOMS know best!! :)

Timani said...

Even though the predicted height is short, it isn't too bad. My grandma was 4'9" and at her tallest, she's probably a couple inches shorter now. She's the cutest thing and very accomplished. Years ago she had to have modifications to her vehicles, but now she can buy a car off the lot. Her house has shorter cabinets and she always has a step stool handy. She has her pilot's license and still tap dances with a group of women at 82. Even though 4'9"-11" isn't our ideal...it's completely doable and can be very well done. Same goes with Davis. As you get more information, I'm sure you'll do the right thing for your family. That's a tough one.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Good luck making your decision. I'll be interested to see hwo your appt. with the Peds Endocrinologist goes. If you like him and trust him, I'd be inclined to take seriously whatever his recommendation is.

That said, what kind of shots are they? If they are just subcutaneous, no problem there. Those are a breeze if the needle isn't too big. If they are interamuscular, that would be harder on the kids as far as dreading it goes.

I'll be interested to learn more, esp. since you know my youngest is barely on the growth charts, too.

JoAnna said...

I, too, am sure you'll do the right thing, but I would like to share a thought. My brother is short. He HATES it! He would do anything to be a few inches taller. It really bothers him and affects him almost every day. It seems to be a big deal for guys to be short. I've often noticed the "short-man syndrome" to be a true phenomenon. It even is a big deal for girls when a guy is short. It seems every extra inch could make a big difference for a boy.
Just my two cents.

The Cherry Family said...

Good luck figuring out what to do. That's a really hard call. Incidentally, we have a few connections to you guys via Suzee. Her tennis partner from high school, Anne Bednar, is in our ward. No idea on maiden name there. And then Suzee's husband's cousin, Elizabeth Germany (now Elizabeth Elder) is here in our ward too. Small world.

Nichole said...

I agree with the other comments that you'll know what's best. Prayer and fasting never hurts right? I wouldn't know the struggles of vertically challenged people but Cousin Ben Russell may be a guy you'd want to pick his brain.

Think of all the things shorter people are great at (sporting events, jockeys (aka Cousin Ben), hiding in small spaces ;P). I'm not one to put too much effort into doing it because they'll feel out of place. Being different builds character. I'm all for modern medicine, but when there is no threat to life or quality of life, let them be is my philosophy. My boys are both quite small. Diane was SO tiny, Grammy, Suzee. Uncle Roger is not a big guy. I think it's okay to stick with nature running it's course.

What a long comment! I will totally not be offended if you flush it all. I'm a big girl, I won't cry! ;P

Jandee said...

I hear ya. Isaac is in the same boat. Dusty and I just don't have those tall "Genes". So it makes me feel bad for him-as a boy I do think it can effect their confidence. I actually get annoyed with other moms who say stuff about how short Isaac is. It is a big decision to bring science into the factor. Let me know what you do.

Melissa said...

I say go for the shots. I would have endured shots in order to have a couple more inches. I agree that it can be pretty tramatic for boys to be short. I'm a big fan of modern medicine. Are there side effects of the growth hormone? Have D give the shots though so you're not the bad guy.

Becky said...

After reading this, my thoughts are tending toward giving them a chance to see if they're just late bloomers, since their bones are "young" for their age. I wouldn't do the growth hormone shots unless you had major proof that there's a deficiency, and I don't know how that kind of diagnosis works--is it a concrete diagnosis, or just an educated opinion? Good luck with your doctors' appointments and your decision.