Tuesday, April 1, 2008

unpeeling my onion

Today I learned a lot about myself. I started Davis and Eliza in a recreational gymnastics class the fall after they turned 3. I chose gymnastics because I could put them both in the class (I know, I know, I COULD have put both of them in dance, but this is a topic for another post--a possibly offensive post to male dancers (sorry guys, I still love you, though)). Anyway, the twins LOVED IT!! What is not to like? They get to run around a room with a springy floor, jump on the tramp, learn tricks, balance on a beam, swing on the bar and rings, and jump into a giant pit full of sponges.

After the first couple of sessions of gymnastics, Eliza’s coach asked her if she wanted to be a part of her TOPs class. For those of you that aren’t familiar with gymnastics, as I am not-- though learning more-- the TOPs program is more structured classes that focus on teaching technique and strength—more goal-oriented than a recreational gymnastics class. This program is meant to get the girls ready for competition. At the time, I really had no idea what I was getting into, so I agreed. The hardest part of this decision was splitting up the twins since I initially chose gymnastics so they could do it together. I realized that sooner or later their interests and talents would diverge so I might as well face the music and realize I had two different children on my hands (plus the gym down the street from our house doesn’t have a TOPs/competitive program for boys—Davis elected to take golf lessons from his 18-year-old cousin, Couper. Davis is also still taking a gymnastics rec class as well).

Eliza has now been in this TOPs program for about 1 year, and I have had so much fun watching her progress—and quickly!! She has learned to do front flips on the tramp, climb the gigantic rope to the ceiling, beautiful cartweels with pointed toes, and chin-up pullovers. I also figure that she is so small that gymnastics might just be a good sport for her. By the way, she also LOVES it!

Eliza has only had one other girl in her class, Briana, for almost the entire last year. A few weeks ago, Eliza’s coach realized she and Briana will turn 5 soon and should be moved up to the next class (this is not the first, or probably the last time, that Eliza is thought to be much younger than her actual age due to her small stature) . Today was the first day of her new class. Eliza has been so excited to meet new girls in this new class.

So, I drop Eliza and Briana off today. Though I had planned to run home and put Roger down for a nap, I couldn’t resist watching the girls for a little while in their new class. I introduce myself to the other girls mom’s and subtly direct the conversation to their daughter's stats (how old are they?, what grade in school?). I learn the girls in this next class “up” are just a few months older than Eliza (granted, they are a whole head taller!). They will be starting Kindergarten next year as well—that makes them essentially the SAME age.

After I process this juicy bit of information, I realize I am sizing up the “competition”-- aka the other girls in the class (you know, Eliza's TEAMMATES). I feel a bit gypped because I calculate they have had at least 50% longer time ‘in training’ than Eliza has (this new class meets 1.5 hours, twice a week, as opposed to her 1 hr, twice a week). I am watching the girls to see if I can ascertain their potential—how well do they point their toes? Do they self-correct themselves when their coach gives them a suggestion? . . . . . .and then, suddenly, I realize—they are 5 YEARS OLD!!! They just want to have fun and learn some new tricks in gym class.

AM I DESTINED TO BE A STAGE MOM? I had no idea this competitive gene was lurking inside of me—well, I knew it was there, but never knew it would express itself in relation to my child!! HELP!! What have I become? What will I become? Am I going to push my child to the breaking point or plant little suggestive thoughts into my children’s head that “they should be better?” Are my children destined to discuss my pushing and prodding and too-high expectations in their adult therapy sessions? Will I mess them up forever?

I have been lurking around the house for the past hour mulling over this new discovery of myself. It is a good thing I am realizing this now, I guess. I am definitely going to have to tame my primal and competitive urges, don’t you think?

11 comments:

Sarah Palfreyman said...

comparison is how we gage our progress sometimes. it is impossible not to compare. however, it is possible to control our attitudes and focus.

Melissa said...

I think that your urges are completely normal. Everyone wants their kid to be the best (my parents helped me with homework projects in COLLEGE!). I think you only become a "stage mom" when you act on those urges, and when you use your kid to make yourself feel better! You just want her to be the best, that is being a good mom!

p.s. thanks for the comment on our blog!

Heather said...

My daughter is in gymnastics as well. She won't be 5 til August but, is in an advance class too.
It truly is impossible not to compare!!! We just want them to do good right??? Nothing wrong with that!! :)
You are so cute!!! Love, heather

no worries.. we already have enough of that!! ;)

Unknown said...

"Davis elected to take golf lessons from his 18-year-old cousin, Couper. He is also still taking a gymnastics rec class as well." Couper's taking rec gymnastics?! :P

As for you urging your kids to be better than everyone, don't do that. Urge them to do the best they can. If they want to, they'll grow an inner desire to be better. And that's healthy in my opinion. Keep in mind that I'm not a parent (I'm barely 16 at the moment), but I have a very strong desire to be better than my peers (especially in areas I excel in). As long as the desire doesn't become violent or obsessive, it's completely normal.

Just let 'em go and see how it turns out. ;)

Unknown said...

By the by, Melissa's comment is truly insightful. ;)

Camilla Millar said...

Nik, why do you always have to go correcting my grammar? It is, like, totally unnerving to have a 16-year-old pick up on my mistakes. YOU AND YOUR PERFECTIONISM GENES-- they are a constant bane to Millar women.

Unknown said...

Huzzah! I'm a bane! :P

Becky said...

I think your sizing up the competition is funny! People even do that with their babies. (Is he sleeping through the night? Is she crawling yet?) Just don't put too much pressure on Eliza, and everything will be fine!

I remember some April snowstorms in SLC! Two years ago, we messed up our car's serpentine belt trying to get out of our unplowed parking lot, and we didn't realize it until we were stranded down town. So far, no April snow here in Colorado!

Momnerd said...

I think just the fact that you are worrying about it is evidence enough that they will be just fine. A little competition is great as long as they know the important thing is to improve and to have fun!

Prairie said...

You are not an onion Camilla... rather an artichoke! Getting to the heart of yourself is the most rewarding part!

Go Eliza! Knock em dead!

The greatest part about our five year old gymnastics experience was that Bailey was completely oblivious to the fact the there were girls on her team that were much better than her. Gym is the best sport because you learn to cheer for each other as individuals; individually
overcoming fears and achieving new skills, and collectively as you cheer your efforts as a team! Gotta Love it! I found the secret for the moms was to openly complement and cheer every girl on the team for her own contributions to the team.

Camilla Millar said...

Thanks for all your comments guys. I will take them all and try to calm my primal instincts!