Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It's Confession Time

While at the grocery store today, as I was walking down the aisle, an overwhelming smell of nail polish permeated the air. As I was turning the corner, an apologetic mom had summoned a worker with the confession her toddler had somehow opened the nail polish and spilled it on the ground. She felt so bad, so I told her, "I've been there."

Yep, at that same store (my beloved Harmon's where the workers really do know my name, and my kid's names!) 5 years ago, when the twins were about a year old, they were sitting in the front of the car cart. Then Davis started crying. I ignored it for a second (thinking he was just complaining about being strapped in) until the smell of vomit started permeating in the aisle. Sure enough, he had puked ALL OVER himself and the floor. Fortunately Eliza was spared. I was lost. I didn't exactly know what to do. I pushed the cart to the front of the store and told the cashier that there was some major clean-up required on the soup aisle. The worker said she'd take care of it and then she offered to watch Eliza while I went to the bathroom to clean Davis up. I took her up on the offer and then she asked if she could check me out while I was in there. She opened up a register just for me and had someone check out my groceries while I was otherwise occupied. When I returned, I just had to swipe my card and everything else was taken care of. I was mortified.

A few months ago, this same checker was working and asked me where the twins were. I said they were in first grade an at school. She said she couldn't believe it and she remembered when they were babies. I said, "I know. You probably don't remember, but I do, when one of them got sick in one of the aisles. You were really helpful."

"Oh, I remember, " she nodded.

Nice. One of my most embarrassing moments was a very clear memory for her, too. But, she solidified my patronage at Harmon's from that moment on. Maybe I should write a letter of thanks to Bob and Randy. . . . . . (the Harmons brothers)

So, it's confession time. What is the most embarrassing/ worst thing your kids have done in public?

7 comments:

Liz said...

The very first time we went to play at the Sanderson's house, my sweet Kyle pooped allllll over! I had to give him a bath at their house! I was so embarrassed! I know that's not in "public," but that's the first story that came to my mind! :)

WOLF-PACK said...

When Ella was two, it was around Halloween time and she had a fascination with witches. We were in a check out line at a store when a sweet elderly lady was behind us. All of a sudden, I heard Ella start cackling. I turned around to see her pointing her finger with her nose crinkled up. She then turned around and said loudly, "Look mommy, there's a witch!" very embarrassing

Nichole said...

At the funeral of a dear friend, turned around to see my 3 year old peeing on a tombstone. Yep, nice

Kearl said...

I have to ditto my love for Harmons. I don't care if I can get things cheaper elsewhere. I LOVE HARMONS! They are so great to us too. I love that the checker still remembered.

Most embarrassing...the very first week of taking my little newborn Noah to church, he explode-pooped all over my dress during Sunday School. Not only was it LOUD, but then I had to get up and walk past everyone with poop ALL OVER him and me. It was everywhere!!! I just went home.

Jenny said...

Not a public story, but a private horror moment:

Me, teaching an early morning piano lesson. 2-year-old Grant wakes up, and I stick him in front of Sesame Street with some Cheerios. 45-minutes later, the lesson ends, and I walk into the kitchen, and find him lying on the floor in his own vomit. He moans, "I need a Doctow."

Where was the whole "mother's intuition" when I needed it? Who knows how long he'd been lying there!!!

It still hurts me.

Timani said...

You know I should have some good ones...some REALLY good ones, but I can't think of any. I conclude that my kids never leave the house.

That's great Harmon's is sooooo friendly. You ought to just fwd them your post.

Becky said...

Today Julia (age 8) was holding the sacrament water tray and she SNEEZED!! I didn't even look at the people next to us. I just told her to pass it on!

That's probably not the most embarrassing, but it is the most recent!