Friday, October 24, 2008

license to. . .

I don't know where my brain has been but, today I made chocolate chip cookies--minus the fat (not on purpose). My recipe calls for shortening and when I opened the tub, I was out. So I decided to exchange it with butter. I had one stick of butter left and put it in the microwave to soften. I then added all the ingredients. After mixing everything up, I looked at the dough and something just wasn't right (too sticky). "Man," I was thinking, "that shortening really does make a difference." Despite my qualms, that something didn't stop me from plopping drops of dough onto cookie sheets and baking. The cookies also turned out funny--they raised, but promptly fell and were really tough--even though I hadn't overcooked them. I attributed all of these problems to the butter substitute until at about 5:00 I opened the microwave to nuke some veggies for dinner and found the stick of butter. . . . guess that means I earned my license of stupidity today.



On another note, D's physicians license came in the mail today. In most states doctors are not licensed until at least one year of post-graduate training. I totally CRIED while opening the letter (I didn't shed a tear at graduation at all). Somehow seeing that piece of paper just made everything seem so real! My husband is a doctor--license to . . . . .(fill in the blank-- hopefully you were thinking heal).



An a completely other and final note, as I was moving gigantic heavy risers into the chapel for the Primary Program Practice today. I totally bent my wedding ring out of shape. I'm really mad!! (see photo for evidence!)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Question: Did you eat the cookies?

Liz said...

I've TOTALLY done that with cookies before! I remembered before I baked them, but I just softened the butter and added it to the dough. Turned out weird as well! Sorry about your ring!!!! Yeah for D's license! and...what time are you going to the Boo at the Zoo? Sounds like fun, fun!!! :)

Stephanie said...

I have more days like that than any other kind.

Congrats to the doctor.

So sorry about your ring- that bites!

And good luck on your program, ours is this sunday! (yikes)

Becky, yep said...

I've screwed up hundreds of cookie batches! I'd have loved a picture! And, man do I hear ya on being MAD about your ring!

Camilla Millar said...

The cookies tasted okay, but the texture was really tough--kindof like eating jerky (not quite that tough, but you get the idea).

Melissa said...

Is it fate that D's liscence came and you bent your ring the same week? Me thinks, new ring? bigger, bigger BIGGER!

Lark said...

Ok, I was balling at graduation! Seriously - they started playing "pomp and circumstance" and I lost it!
sorry about the cookies ... and the ring. Maybe its time for an upgrade :)