Friday, October 10, 2008

Update from the good doctor

Well, I realized I haven't posted recently about D's crazy life in the burn unit. I won't say too much as catch up except D's escapades at work have lead him to turn down the water heater (way too low, I might add. Really hot showers are one of the things in life that bring me joy), hide the treadmill key from the kids (and me, too-- great excuse NOT to exercise), replace all the batteries in the smoke detectors, and have a heart-to-heart with the kids about matches (D: "What do you do if your friends are playing with matches?" Kids: "Run as fast as we can to get a grown up." D: "Do you ever play with matches?" Kids: "Never, ever."

Last night as D settled down to bed, he made the comment that he thought this might be his one night on home call that he might not get any pages during the night. "Everyone in the unit is looking good." Then about 10 minutes later, well into the snores, his pager went off.The wicked beep signalled no good. D jumped out of bed, grabbed the phone, and called the hospital. After a quick conversation, he angrily marched back into the bedroom and started changing out of his PJ's.

"Some idiot put dry ice on his legs for 3 hours."

"Why?" I asked.

"Who knows. He's probably a psych case."

And so it went. . . . .he spent all night taking care of the dude, and in the morning let me know that "Yes, he had some mental disorders." Fortunately, things were calm enough in the unit today that he was able to come home around noon (this was a real blessing). He is sleeping now-- dreaming of the strange and crazy things people can do to themselves.

3 comments:

Nichole said...

what a life! I'm sure glad there are men willing to sacrifice so much to help others. WOW! impressive~you'll be blessed whether in this life or the next. definitely

Crystal said...

Wow, that's got to be hard not having him home so much. And frustrating for him that people are such deet da dee's sometimes.

Melissa said...

I remember being on that unit as a nusing student. I can still remember the faces of the people I took care of. I was much more careful after that as well. Good for D.