Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Random thoughts on a Wednesday

1) (Courtesy of Eliza at the zoo): What is that red hanging flab underneath a turkey's beak and why do turkeys have it?

The answer is a waddle (thanks Liz) and after an internet search I discovered that the turkey uses the waddle in 2 ways. One, it is a cooling device. When the weather is hot the turkey expands the waddle with blood so that it can cool down in the air. Second, it is part of a display. Depending on how the turkey feels it may show the waddle to its fullest and reddest or hide it totally.

2) Don't ever eat 2 FiberOne bars in one day if you have an important event in the evening in which gas would be an embarrassment (they are delicious and boast 9 grams of fiber. I like the caramel and chocolate chip ones best).

3) I really like the Barbie cartoon movies.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Oh Yeah! I'm glad you looked it up!

Mindy Burns said...

I hear you about the fiber 1 bars! Those things are GREAT, but only 1 per day!

Becky said...

I love the Barbie movies, too. My favorites (and the ones we own) are Princess and the Pauper, Island Princess, 12 Dancing Princesses, and then Rapunzel.

I'm so glad you guys went to Disneyland! We've gone every year since Julia was 2, so she's been 6 times and James has been 4 times already! We love it and can't wait to go back.

Melissa said...

Oh, my gosh, yet anther example of us being separed at birth: I totally love those Fiber One bars!!!! Except I like the caramel/oat ones best. Bad move on eating two in one day-those babies are fiber potent!! Example: Some evenings, after smelling the lovely aroma, Steve asks me "Hey how many Fiber One's did you eat today?"

I LOVE the Barbie movies too/ I feel like they have a better message than the Disney ones. I like the songs too-especially from Island Princess.