Monday, February 23, 2009

Is it "to cut off your nose DESPITE your face" or "...TO SPITE your face"?

The former would seem to be an action done without regard to the effect it causes to other or to oneself (aka your face). The latter would indicate an action done maliciously to intentionally cause the collateral damage aforementioned.

Anyway, thanks Melissa, for pointing out my folly. It seems I've recently been on a roll with these little spelling faux-pas' (tell me I got that one right, please). After an extensive Google search (All Hail Google, the neverending source of knowledge) it would seem that I have always been saying this phrase incorrectly (it is, as Melissa wisely pointed out, 'to spite your face,' not despite, but as you can see above, it still kindof makes sense my way, doesn't it?

6 comments:

Kerri said...

Camilla, I hate to say it, but it's faux pas. It means false steps in French. (But I still think you're great!)

Sarah said...

Congrats on the baby boy! Eliza is the reigning princess! I have been out of it for far too long, but I have been thinking of you and what a wonderful friend you have been to me! You are such a n amazing woman and I love that I know you- even with the faux pas'! I just blame those away on pregnancy, and the weight, and the hormone moments, and well, everything!

Loralee and the gang... said...

I always thought it was either-or, depending on what you were talking about... and you're pretty dang close on the - faux pas - Just no apostrophe! (Did I spell that right?? It looks funny to me) Now you know!
:~D

Camilla Millar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Camilla Millar said...

Okay, I actually knew it didn't have an apostrophe, but I put one in to indicate multiple faux pas. I just thought faux pas's looked silly (but now that I am looking at faux pa's, that isn't any good either)? I think Sarah has it right with Faux pas'--I am going to change it, thank you!

Melissa said...

Steve is the one that pointed it out (but he won't admit that he reads your blog)