Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Modern Day Gadianton Robbers OR The Appeal

Sarah's last comment about modern day Gadianton Robbers prompted me to post this little book review. I just finished The Appeal, one of John Grisham's novels. Fortunately, it is out on paperback, and I've been reading so much lately that I picked it up in the grocery store for a few bucks.

Unlike some of his other novels in which the plot thickens as an underdog lawyer takes on a big case/big firm or what have you, this book STARTS out at the end of the big case-- and follows the players as they anticipate an appeal to the Mississippi Supreme Court. The 'Big Evil Company' in the case had just experienced a loss with huge punitive damages slapped at them. With the upcoming election of a Mississippi Supreme Court Judge (who would be deciding the appeal of the case) the CEO of this company decides (with some persuasion) it is time to buy himselves an election. . . . .

In truth, I probably would have only given the book 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads becaue it was full of money talk, a downer theme, and in some ways made election issues too black and white for my tastes (aka a little too preachy on politics: and of course it was preachy against the direction I lean), but I am talking about the book because, although a fiction, it made me realize what a farce politics really can be. I believe there truly are big, big money players who finance campaigns and careers of corrupt and/or negligent and/or power-hungry and/or inexperienced/easily persuaded politicians.

When I think of all the money that has been poured into ailing companies as of late "for the benefit of the American Economy," I can't help but wonder what backhanded deals and financing has taken place to accomplish these goals? Why are some companies too big to fail, while others are left to their own bad luck? (what sort under the table talks accomplished this for these special companies (hello automakers)) I thought it was a joke today that President Obama capped? the salaries of CEO's of these failed companies at $500,000--isn't that like 10 times the average of hard working American families (who, by the way, didn't fail--or if they did, they are too small to bail out). Is the government trying to send the message to companies to continue their poor business practices because Uncle Sam will be there to pick up the pieces? (and yes, I am aware these CEO's were making in the millions of dollars range, but still, is a $500,000 salary sending the right message--that is more money than our elected officials make!).

So Sarah, I'm with you-- I think the Gadianton Robbers of our day are still alive and kicking!

2 comments:

Melissa@thebblog said...

Yup, I hated that book for the "politics" of it all! I suppose that was the whole point but it left me with a really sour taste in my mouth! Who are the good guys again?

Anonymous said...

Hi Camilla - I thought you might like to read my post on the characteristics of the Gadianton Robbers.