Friday, February 20, 2009

Self-Aware

Eliza recently 'moved-up' to a new gymnastics class. Her class now meets in the late afternoon, and her classmates are 5-7 years old. We've been lucky to this point because her classes were in the morning or early afternoon when the gym wasn't busy. But now when she goes, it is a zoo. It feels like there are little people in leotards covering every square inch of that place.

Eliza told me last night that while she was walking by some 'older girls,' they commented, "Oh, look are her, she is so cute!" I have to agree with them. Eliza is this little, tiny girl. Her small size is even more accentuated in this new class where her classmates, though just a year or so older, have got a full head--or two-- on her (I've got to get a picture, it's pretty funny--note to self: bring camera to class).

So then I asked Eliza, "Lize, did you like it when they said you were cute?"

Her reply was a quick, "Yeah. It is like I am a toddler with the big girls--but, I can talk and read and do back-bend-kick-overs, so I am not really a toddler." Then she laughed. "It is like I am playing a trick on everyone else!"

Pretty good self-assessment, as she is the size of a 3-year-old. I hope her small stature doesn't give her too much stress over time. D is always trying to tell her that he is the smallest doctor in the hospital, but he likes it. . . . .hopefully, she'll take after her Dad.

6 comments:

Nichole said...

am i even in the same stratosphere hoping reed doesn't develop the redheaded kid complex?

Jandee said...

very cute, sometimes I feel like I am a toddler too:) -jandee

Kearl said...

When my brother, who is a fairly small person, married a tiny wife. They started their own joke about how small their kids would be by saying, "We're going to raise gymnasts and jockeys". You just have to work with what you got. Her attitude is great.

Kerri said...

Eliza is so comfortable in her skin. That's a real blessing! And it can only HELP in gymnastics, right?

Crystal said...

That's really cute.

Jamie said...

So cute! Good for her moving up a level.